Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just cleaning my stock air box....i removed my MAF and everything just to clean it. Poped it back on and now it sounds like it choking the engine. Do i need to reset the MAF by disconecting the battery???? i need help fast pleeeeease

thanks

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Reset it and see if that fixes it. It's a simple, quick thing to try. Just pull the negative cable for ten-fifteen minutes.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but did you put it back the right way? There is a arrow that will tell you the way the air should flow.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
you could have damaged it also but i would def try reseting it to see if that helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reset it....about 3 times first time 15 min. second about 30min. then the 3rd for about an hour.....it was fine for about a min. then it started shaking again and missing....so i checked the plugs and wires and everything looked fine. The engine only has 21,000 miles on it and it is an 03 so i would highly doubt that it would be internal. I'm thinking that the MAF got some oil residue or something in it from when i was cleaning it. How much do they run and should i take it to a dealer to see what they have to say and just so that they can charge me out the butt for it???

·
Registered
384 Posts
Like mentioned before, Make sure you have it pointing in the right direction. Make sure its nice and air tight. And what did you do to try and clean it? You might have damaged it with something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i've never heard of anyone doing that...

what were you cleaning it with?

what was the purpose of cleaning it? were you trying to solve a performance issue?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was using mother back to black and all i was doing was cleaning the intake just went over it with a rag.....i know the the MAF is sensitive but dang i didn't know it was that sensitive. And yes everything is air tight and made sure the snokle was clear and it was sucking air through the filter so...it has to be the MAF. Should i try to clean it with MAF safe carb cleaner or just take it to the dealership??

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
i would try cleaning the maf. it is common to get a little oil and dirt on it which will cause it to read off. just make sure you are using some form of electrical cleaner. other than that the only thing i can think of is a vaccum leak, maybe you accidentally disconnected a hose. that would cause the hissing sound.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya that is what i thought it could be too....but i looked at all the hoses and made sure they were snug...but it isn't really hissing it just sounds like it is missing....so that is why checked all the plugs and wires but everything still looks brand new. Would carb cleaner be fine as longs as it says okay for MAF??? or is there something else?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Get electrical contact cleaner. Designed for cleaning deleciate electrical parts. Just spray it, no rags or anything. And you never did say if you had it in the right direction.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya.....i got everything hooked up right....i'm sure of it. Well i'll just go to napa after work grab a can and see if that works but i'm going to make sure i still make an appointment b4 so i can get in asap. and if it does need a new MAF should i see if i can get a savage part. or go ahead and put the 150 into a new one. If it was an older car i might do it...but since it is pretty new i might as well put the new part on. But hopefully a good cleaning will help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i just found how much a new MAF will cost does anybody know how hard they are to install i would rather do it myslef b/c it looks like its going to be about 130 so...i'm still going to try to clean the darn thing first

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
yeah clean it with CNC electrical contact cleaner, it's in a ghetto rattle can that thats red and black. that stuff is great!

when you do clean it keep the can back atleast a foot. seriously! just spray and let it dry. it's best to do it durring the day and only takes about 2 minutes to dry.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alrighty thanks...i think they have that stuff at napa i think i seen it there....oh well thats where i'm going to stop after work so we will see if that stuff works...if not looks like i'm going to be forking out the money for it. But i read that it might under warrenty too under an emission warrenty thingy that is 8/80,000 does anybody know any more info about this???

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh and just for the heck of it while we are talking about MAFs.....Does anybody know how to intall them or does that have to do with the ecu??? I've looked for a how to but haven't seen any. Just a suggestion on another "HOW TO".

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
eh? no thread jacking...

but it's pretty simple, un bolt the old one, unplug it. bolt in the new one and the plug it in!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts