Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my focus for less than 2 weeks and ive noticed a rubbing sound coming from the front left wheel well. I suspected the tire rubbing on the fender. I took it to Ted Britt ford and they said they fixed the problem by zip tieing the splash guard out of the way. As im driving it home it makes the same rubbing sound as before, a few days later i take it back, show them that there is paint that has been rubbed off the inner fender lip and also that the tire clearly has blue paint on it. Ted Britt still says that there is no problem, that all the suspension pieces are fine. Has this happened to anyone had this happen, im getting real frustrated with this, and it only happens on the front left side. I can post up pics if people wanna see it too

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
What size wheels and tires do you have?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If those are the stock rims then it shouldn't be rubbing at all... Any SVT'ers with ideas?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Does that side of the car look like it's sitting any lower than passenger side? Blane is right, 215/40's should have more wheel gap than 215/45's. Are you still using stock wheels or wheels between a 49 and 45mm offset?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Data I see says the stock tire size is 215/45/17.

I wonder if the suspension is stock, or if someone has lower or modified it in any way?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i bought the car stock from carmax, stock suspension and everything and the car is sitting level as well

·
Registered
352 Posts
have you hit any big holes in the road, speed bumps, ANY THING?. I bent a strut once. It made my tire rub.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I know you mentioned its a rubbing noise and all so i would inspect the inner fender well with a flashlight and see if there are any rub marks anywhere and i found a TSB on a CREAKING, GRINDING, RATTLE sort of noise maybe it will help you out a bit.

FORD: 2000-2004 FOCUS

This article supersedes TSB 03-20-2 to update the model years, service procedure and part information.

ISSUE:
Some 2000-2004 Focus vehicles may exhibit a front end creaking, crunching, grinding and/or rattling noise from the front suspension while driving at slow speeds, over bumps, and/or while turning.

ACTION:
Noise, vibration, harness (NVH) conditions may originate from many areas. A thorough inspection of the front suspension is necessary to determine the cause. To service, refer to the following Service Procedure and inspect the suggested areas first.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Inspect front strut fasteners and confirm that they are tightened to the correct torque.
Front strut to front knuckle, (one (1) driver / one (1) passenger), 90 N-m (67 lb-ft).
Front strut mount to body, (three (3) driver / three (3) passenger), 30 N-m (22 lb-ft).
Front strut rod to strut mount, (one (1) driver / one (1) passenger), 66 N-m (49 lb-ft).
NOTE: MEASUREMENT OF TORQUE MUST BE DONE IN THE TIGHTENING DIRECTION.

NOTE: IN ORDER TO APPLY THE PROPER TORQUE TO THE FRONT STRUT ROD TO STRUT MOUNT FASTENER, A HEX KEY WILL BE REQUIRED TO HOLD THE STRUT ROD IN PLACE WHILE TIGHTENING THE NUT.

Inspect for loose stabilizer bar end links.
Firmly grasp the links and shake them - both along the direction of the link and transverse to the link orientation in the inboard/outboard vehicle direction. If looseness is felt continue on to Step 2b, if no looseness is felt continue on to Step 3.
Inspect the link end joints. If they do not appear severely corroded, torque the nuts (use anti-rotation feature to prevent ball joint damage) to 50 N-m (36 lb-ft), and repeat Step 2a. If links still feel loose after tightening or if the joint shows evidence of severe corrosion, replace the link (YS4Z-5K484-AA).
Inspect for the top spring sleeve coming out of position. This may cause a squeaking noise between the sleeve and indent on the ridge of the upper spring seat, or it may cause a clicking noise between the spring and upper spring seat if the sleeve is completely out of position. If the sleeve is out of position continue on to Step 3a, if the sleeve is positioned properly continue on to Step 4.
Install a new rubber sleeve (1S4Z-8484-AA). Install the new rubber sleeve starting from the top of the spring coil where it contacts the spring plate.
If the noise is a clicking or popping from the front strut, install a service spring end cap (4S4Z-5L302-AA) on to the top spring tip. Reassemble and reinstall strut per the Workshop Manual Section 204-01.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
YS4Z-5K484-AA Stabilizer Bar End Link
1S4Z-8484-AA Sleeve - Coil Spring
4S4Z-5L302-AA Cap - Spring End

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im pretty sure i fixed the problem, I had seen before that the tab on the inner fender that hold that splash guard in place had tire marks on it. A little bit ago i looked on the right side and that tab was at like a 30 degree angle to the fender and the one on the left side was at like a 60 degree angle. I just bent it back a little and vuala no more rubbing. So two trips to the dealership for nothing, thank god it was under warrenty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts