Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my roommate has a 2008 Focus, he hit a deer recently. Somehow the only damage was to the hood and core support. But the shop he took it to took the entire front of the car apart and broke alot of clips. Then the insurance totaled it and my roomie bought it back for under $500. I have replaced the core support (thank god its bolt in) and now I want to put in the fender liners and front bumper. But the little baggie of clips and screws only equals up to half of the holes in the fender liners and front bumper. I also didn't take it apart.

My problem and point of this post is I don't know what clips and screws go where and since I am clearly missing some I don't know what to buy to finish putting it together. Is there a detailed diagram somewhere I am missing or does someone have a haynes or chilton manual that shows this or does someone just know how it goes together?

·
Trump 2016
12,933 Posts
Find a place that sells body shop stuff. Like paint ETC they have all that stuff. Just take what you have to match up.

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
You are now in bodyshop world. The clips if bought from Ford are whoppingly overpriced common to be often $5 each. You simply put clips or whatever wherever you see holes for them. I use hardware store specialty fasteners at way less (maybe 1/8th cost) but that may not be an out for you if you don't have enough experience to be able to automatically know what you need and where.

It's common to lose that many clips by breakage on a car that old, and even the ones saved may well let the parts flop around like a junkyard special, they are only used once and taking them out never has them going back in nearly so tight as that first time. Add to that the OEM commonly uses the same clips on varying size holes and more trouble from that, your clips are not matched to the hole they came out of.

In some cases you can use slightly bigger sheetmetal screws and even in plastic if you size them right, and simple bolts with selflocking nuts can work too if you can get to the back of the part. Added benefit of those is that the final assembly is tighter and more solid too. You can even drill extra holes and put in fasteners to tighten up where you think something is too loose, the car will thank you for it by not dropping parts on the freeway.

You can order big packages of the clips for much cheaper than the ones out on the parts store floor but you absolutely have to be able to size the ones you have against a drawing with specs and many people cannot equate the two in the real world to end up with wrong size clips.

'Matching up' those clips is pretty funny, people have no idea what to match there and commonly try to get the same 'type' and completely ignore the actual fitments, i.e., the hole size. The hole could care less what the clip looks like, the hole fit is all that matters. The customer choice of clip will look the same and not fit then but just try telling them that, no way, they get mad and better to keep your mouth shut. Then watch them come back over and over and..................until they explode in screaming fits. I had people refuse to buy clips I had just matched as to perfect fit and they wouldn't buy because they 'don't look right', well of course they tried a few that didn't work (predictable) and then called us idiots for not giving them the part that 'worked'. Never mind I had a working part in hand.

Another one of them situations where I have 'met the enemy and he is me'.

One of my cars wrecked in the past has 90% of the clips gone and held with nuts and bolts and MUCH more solid a car there as a result. Both front and rear bumpers, inner fender liners, cowl plastic covers, much of the stuff under the hood using clips now bolted solid.

All you need is a firm fastener there, the car does not care what kind it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting thank you, I think I might just get bolts and self locking nuts and go that way since most remaining clips are indeed damaged. I'll check to make sure the holes are all accessible at the back first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts