Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently had a mot and my focus failed on the nearside rear parking brake, i have checked the foot pedal braking and handbrake lever on the caliper and it all working fine. When the handbrake is applied there is no resistance, I have tried adjusting the handbrake itself and it made no difference, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Obvious question but how are the brake pads?

Also, check to make sure the cable leading from the handbrake handle to the brake in the back isn't broke.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Bottom line - it's NOT "working fine".

Caliper lever moving does not mean it's working properly, it needs to actually apply the brake when moved to be working right.

Mechanical adjustment system in the caliper isn't moving as it should is the most likely possibility, rebuild or replace with rebuilt unit.

Some drag on the brakes should exist when moving it by hand - you should feel it come to a hard stop as you move the lever & further pressure causes braking.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi everyone, I recently had a mot and my focus failed on the nearside rear parking brake, i have checked the foot pedal braking and handbrake lever on the caliper and it all working fine. When the handbrake is applied there is no resistance, I have tried adjusting the handbrake itself and it made no difference, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm not sure what's going on, but I have found that my parking brake lever can lose all resistance when it's cold.
It's like the cable sticks inside its housing or something like that.
The problem disappears when the temperature gets warm, or if I work the handle a bit.

I am hesitant to use my parking brake when it's below 25°F because of this. I'll just leave the car in 1st (or Rev) and try to park where it's flat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts