Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just drove through a 2 foot puddle and my car died. I don't know how to fix it. It won't start and I have an AEM cold air intake that runs to the bottom of the engine compartment by the left fog light. I think it sucked in too much water!! PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well, I can't tell you specifically how to fix it but I believe it isn't good.

I can tell you how to prevent it in the future, you need to get a bypass valve.

Something like: http://www.tuneshops.com/per-Auto~Performance-1-AEM~Bypass~Valve.htm
(I don't know this place it is just the first result in google, but the part shouldn't be hard to come by from more known sources.)

·
FF Affiliate
30,874 Posts
Pull the plugs and do a compression test,Also look at the plugs and see if they are wet or rusty showing that there was water in the Cyl

Look in the plug holes and make sure there is no water in there before you pull the plugs also look at the plug wires and make sure there in no water in the coil or the plug wire boots

Tom

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I don't know if you tried what Tom said but I'll share a tip the tow driver told me when my Mustang died. Granted it hadn't rained for about 3 weeks, and I sure didn't try this because it sounded weird to me.. so if anyone knows if this works, could ya respond? The guy asked me if I had tried starting the car with my foot on the gas. I thought he meant brake and said "Yea, I always do out of habit" and he gave me a look like [8] and then I realized he musta said something different. Forget why he said it could work... but it could help?? Again, try at your own risk...

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
pull the plugs and crank the motor over to see if any water will come out, drain the oil soon as possible, and if possible, drop the oilpan...last thing you want is to bend a con-rod from hydrolock

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
ewww...sorry bud I saw someone do that in their car and one of my friends did it also... anyways he changed the oil and checked spark plugs and everything else everyone b4 this said...good luck and be careful! :)

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
CowsGoMoo said:
change the oil atleast twice, if not three times, too.
there is no reason for that..most of the water turns to mist and after the original oil change only a tad will be left. thats just waiting your time and money.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried jumpstarting it and that didn't work. Right now it only makes a clicking sound everytime I turn the key, it won't even turn over. What could be wrong!!

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
seriously, it could be locked up...specially since its been 2 days, just be happy you didn't put a hole in your block. put the stock intake on and bring it to the dealer. tell them that you went through a big puddle the other night and it made the car surge heavily, you pulled over, let it sit and you drove home...two days later it won't start. was the check engine light flashing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pull the plugs and change the oil, as so many others have said. I hydrolocked a 4X4 years ago and had the exact same symptom. Turn the key = click. Changed a starter and battery before I checked the oil on a fluke and it smelled like gas. ( float in carb had stuck open, gravity and siphoning effect caused the entire motor to be filled with gas, locking it up tight)

·
Registered
12 Posts
pull the plugs and tap the key to see if the engine even turns but dont crank it if it does. if it turns, drain the oil. if it doesn't you killed the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
is your car stick or auto? if it is stick, pull the spark plugs, put the car in secong gear and push it 2 feet to see if the engine turns to rule out the starter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey I just pulled out the spark plugs and the wires and turned on the engine and a lot of water squirted out. So far so good, as far as I thought. Then I installed new spark plugs and then tried to turn on the engine and it tried to turn over but then back to square one and just clicked. what else could be the problem? Could it be that their is moisture in the distribitor cap or what?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you change the oil? Water may have ran down past the rings. Pull your dipstick and take a look, your oil level may be way high. FWIW that's how I finally discovered my motor was hydrolocked, after changing the starter and battery. After you've changed the oil&filter you can pretty much rule out hydrolock, and then it would seem your into something electrical ie; starter, or stater solenoid. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Come on guys and girls, I don't want to pay a towing company money to drive it to a repair business to tell me its just a simple thing. There has to be something else wrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts