Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this has been annoying me for long enough. About a week ago, I was crawling around in my back seat, trying to clean the windows, when I realized that my rear speakers were distorting like crazy. They sounded almost blown, but sounded too clear to be blown.

Anyway, I switched the wires around on my amp so that the front output was wired to the rear speakers and the rear output was wired to the front speakers. I figured I would find out whether I had blown the speakers, but they sounded crystal clear with the front output wired to them, and the fronts now sounded like crap...

There is no clip light turning on on the amp, and I checked to make sure no one messed with the gains/crossover on the amp. My question is, does this sound like a problem inside the deck, or within the amp? The deck has been in for warranty work once before (left rear amp stopped working). Here's what I have:

Pioneer DEH-P7600
Infinity Kappa 5x7's
Infinity Kappa Perfrect 12VQ (no problem there)
Infinity REF5716a

·
Registered
272 Posts
Try using only the front i/p off the deck on the front channels and then the rears. If both sound OK, then you have narrowed it down to the deck rear o/p. Otherwise, it's the amp, because you have already established that the spkrs are good.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, now I'm really confused....

I tried switching around the I/P's on the deck, and it sounds fine with any combination of front and back. Somehow, my little distortion problem fixed itself....at least for now.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It probably was a loose connection or oxidation on one of the plugs. It wouldn't hurt to take them off, give them a good dousing of ELECTRONIC contact cleaner(Not electrical as it will eat plastic, trust me there is a huge difference) wait a few seconds till they dry and then reseat them. I would look at the contacts of yor speaker wires and do the same. trust me, I'm an avionics technician and I see this kind of problem a lot.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, some of the RCA's on the deck seemed super tight...hopefully I broke free whatever oxidation was there. I don't think there's a problem at the speaker connections though, because they are all soldered and shrink tubed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts