Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!!!!!!!

ZX3 wont start, battery is Ok, every electrical thing works, interior lights, headlights, etc...everything seems to be working but the engine.

Odometer shows only (---- ---- ----)

Any suggestions?[???:)]

·
Registered
580 Posts
the things i would check out would be -

if it's an automatic, make sure you have the car in park and your foot on the brake.

if it's a manual, make sure you have your foot on the brake and the clutch depressed

(they actually have lockouts for both of these cases that will prevent the engine from starting).

if you haven't done any modifications and the above don't correct the problem, the computer might need to be reset (by disconnecting the battery cable for a couple minutes and reconnecting it).

other than that, no idea. a ford dealer might know. the odometer thing is weird - once my car goes through it's power-on self test, the odometer switches to show the mileage (even if you don't keep turning the key to start it). that's what made me suspect that the computer is ... unhappy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mikey
thanks mate,
battery disconecction, done that :(.....didn't work. I have checked all fuses all in good conditions.
The car feels exactly as you mention about the security lock, my case is a standar zx3, but when I turn the key it feels as if I do not depressed the clutch.

Still under warranty but I just dont have a clue about what happend. I was just parking and using defrost in the back window and wipers both in front and back. Fog lights. Looks like a computer problem, hope not.

Thanks anyways, I will wait hoping for someones advice.

Cheers

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
How long did you disconnect the battery? Leave it disconnected for about 10-15 mins then retry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try it....

guerro said:
How long did you disconnect the battery? Leave it disconnected for about 10-15 mins then retry.
I'll try....as I did only for 4 minutes...u know I'm more a computer guy...and usually 1 or 2 minutes is enough for computers.....maybe not for cars....I will letyou know in 20 mins.

Thanks mate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
didn't work

40 mins battery disconeccted.....nothing happens......looks like I have to go to the dealer. I´ll wait ´til 2morrow afternoon. THanks anyway.
peace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car @ dealer..........I'll let you know.....as this info is interesting for all of us.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Ya, I don't understand leaving the computer disconnected for 15 minutes to erase some RAM.
This usually only takes several seconds or 1 minute at the most unless the RAM has a large capacitor to back it up until the cap is drained by the computer, which may take 15 minutes.
Dunno...just weird.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
microtonal said:
Ya, I don't understand leaving the computer disconnected for 15 minutes to erase some RAM.
This usually only takes several seconds or 1 minute at the most unless the RAM has a large capacitor to back it up until the cap is drained by the computer, which may take 15 minutes.
Dunno...just weird.
I believe so.............should be enough....that happens with PCs...so should be the same....but as far as I know, there is a Memory Unit in the car electronics tha keeps some information for more time.

Thanks for the comment

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fokuzsport said:
damn.. your like the second person this has happened to..

just wierd
Thats right buddy....I was almost all sunday searching for similar cases....nothing.
Thats why I will back to this forum to let you know. Its frustrating.

Dealer $$$$aid..(still under warranty but you never know)....tomorrow I will know whats the problem.

Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car fixed

Car Fixed @ dealer.

No explaination.
Cause of the problem: Short
Location: Ignition Harness that affects power source, also affecting the odometer. It took one day to identify the problem.

No other damages.

Cost of 70 bucks.

The only thing I can remember was I had on: headlights, fog lights, back window defrost, wipers. Got home, stop the car and started again. Then came the problem.

Thanks and I hope this Info help someone else.

Lach

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all...

Thanks to all those who helped me with this problem.

Hope this helps someone else.

PD Sorry about my spelling, English is my second language.

Cheers and Best Regards
Lach

1 - 14 of 14 Posts