Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SOHC Split port Focus, I need to remove the Crankshaft Timing belt pulley thats behind the Serpentine Belt Pulley, anyone know how to remove it? I am familar with Cog Belt Pulleys they have pressed on skirts that keep the belt from walking off so I am afriad to attempt to pull it off with a puller, they will bend or break it & it don't seem to slip off so it must have a press fit. I need to replace the seal behind it! ANy Hints!!!! Help is gratefully Appreciated the sooner the Better neeed to get it back running

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing about what used to remove pulley

Thanks for the link but it had no help about what they used to remove the pulley

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
OP of that one used fingers, another poster pried carefully with screwdrivers for the back washer after the pulley was off. Shows the pulley is separate from the back washer that needs to fit over key as well if that's not removed, and that you could separate at the washer to pry carefully.

It's a slide on fit with a keyway, could be a little rust helping with the fun.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Two words..............active coercion

If you scratch up the pulley teeth manhandling it then take a file and detail the scratches/dents back out of the teeth or they will eat the belt alive and failed belt then.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That brings up an idea.

Doing that work you've likely got a timing belt/serpentine belt lying around to be scrapped. Why not use that as padding for grabbing the pulley to try & wiggle/pull it off? (Pliers/vise grips, whatever works & is handy)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been there done that

Thanks for the replies, as you guys know this engine suffered for valve seat failure , I went thru one 20,000 miles ago. At that time I basically rebuild the engine as the dropped seat took out a rod & 3 pistons I put new timing belt water pump , had the head fixed with new seats & so on. last week out driving & number 3 cylinder went down , it turned out to be a stuck exhaust valve, I took the head off & wanted to replace the seal behind the pulley that I ask help on how to get off. I have a actual Ford manual on the car & believe it or not all, that book states on that pulley removal is "Remove the crankshaft Pulley" nothing about a puller to use or not but in a later chapter states it has a "Friction fit" which to me is a press fit (I'm also a machinist).
Long story AH! All I have is a new belt so I guess I'll get some rubber or something to try & protect the pulley & pry or break it off. Just trying to fix an oil leak. The damper slips right off but that pulley is on there, had it soaking in Blaster Spray, I just know them skirts on the pulley won't take much prying & they will break off. Sure thanks you guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it off

Hey good news.....I got it off. Think it was just wedged on the key. Knocked it back & forth with a center punch & knocked the Woodruff key up in the front & the pulley slipped right off & got the back washer off & seal out & new one in.

Thanks
all!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yay!

Tx for letting us know what worked for you.

Much "creative blasphemy" involved?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts