Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been having a weird problem as of late. I just had the engine mounts replaced on my car and since they did that at idle the whole car shakes form the engine vibration. Additionally, under acceleration if i hit it hard, i hear a clunk... almost like the motor or something is hitting some part of the car.... if rolling at about 20 mph i have the clutch half way and tap the gas i can reproduce the clunk every time the gas is hit.

Is there another mount or maybe i have a bad new mount that i need to replace... or is there some other underlying issue here?

ANY AND ALL INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED! : )

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
motor mounts if they are the good kind, not just oem replacements, will make ur car vibrate, as for the clunk, can't help ya

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the clunk is expecially noticed when shifting between gears under harder acceleration...

with low "normal" acceleration i can almos tmake it not do the clunk

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Its normal for the car to have vibration after the stiffer engine mounts!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
When you floor your gas pedal and accelerate the engine rocks back a bit. rev it while the hood is up using the throttle cable and notice how the engine jerks a bit. just from looking around im sure you can find out what it is. its mostly a mount though. i redid the timing and replaced the belt and i think while doin that i let the motor drop too much when lowering it a bit on the jack. now it vibrates sometimes but its not bad so im not worried about it. let me know how you work out!

·
Banned
143 Posts
my car does something similar... the revs fall rather slowly after i step on the clutch. they dont hang, just fall slowly. if i change gears very quick especially at high rpm, i can select the next gear before the revs drop. this causes a bit of a thump as the clutch engages and the engine speed is reduced quickly to match the gear. if i wait just a moment for the revs to fall before i engage the next gear there is no thump. not a big deal but perhaps this is what u are experiencing?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i had a similar problem and it was a loose rear mount, if you just had yours replaced it could be that it was not reinstalled correctly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
almost the same thing happened to me. i broke off part of the rear transmission mount, broke the rear motor mount. if you would step on it the whole rear end of the motor and transmission would lift. you should check in your garage, pop the hood, and play with your throttle, you'll notice if at high rpm's the motor starts to rise its the rear motor/transmission mount...

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
i had a similar problem and it was a loose rear mount, if you just had yours replaced it could be that it was not reinstalled correctly.
bingo. this is most likely exactly what the problem is. I had a similar problem, the engine mount bolt was loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts