Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm outta town and my check fuel cap light came on. I tightened it two turns and lights still on its a zx3 with a zetec and everything feels fine but the lights still on, what could the prob be is it safe to drive? the cap is in like new shape if that makes a difference lmk ASAP thanks

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Go to a parts store and have them clear the CEL, or disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 mins or so. If disconnect the battery, when you start the engine, allow it to idle for 6-7 minutes without touching the accelerator. If you have a tach, you'll notice that the idle is slightly high, and fluctuating. When the idle drops, the computer has finished a test that resets the A/F ratio. If you fail to do this, then you'll have lowered fuel economy for a few weeks until it performs the test while you drive. You'll experience a drop in fuel economy anyway by clearing the ECU, but it will come back within a few weeks if you are sure to reset the A/F as described.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go to a parts store and have them clear the CEL, or disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 mins or so. If disconnect the battery, when you start the engine, allow it to idle for 6-7 minutes without touching the accelerator. If you have a tach, you'll notice that the idle is slightly high, and fluctuating. When the idle drops, the computer has finished a test that resets the A/F ratio. If you fail to do this, then you'll have lowered fuel economy for a few weeks until it performs the test while you drive. You'll experience a drop in fuel economy anyway by clearing the ECU, but it will come back within a few weeks if you are sure to reset the A/F as described.
Do you lose economy when clearing the codes with a scanner, or just when you disconnect the negative cable manually?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts