Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I hope someone can shed some light on my problem.

I have a 2002 ford focus sedan. I removed the attachments to the battery (black off first, then red) to clean them. Some corrosion was built up. I reattached them ( red first, black last) and attempted to restart my car. NOTHING DOING?

The radio, lights, horn and electric locks work. However, once I turn over the key there is no sound and NO NUMBERS SHOW up on the electric odometer.

I have tried both keys.

The dash lights which show up are : engine light, exclamation point light, oil anf battery light.

I hope someone can help me before I have to take it to a dealer!

Thank you,

Sanj

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
No clicks or anything when you try to start it?

Is anything flashing in the indicator lights during or after you try to start it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
That would be my quess, the alarm. My uncle had the same problem so he locked the car and then unlocked it and it started right up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nothing is flashing in the indicator lights, but the 4 lights I mentioned earlier stay on. I tried locking and unlocking, but this doesnt work!

Sanj

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Those lights will always be on when the car is not on. Do you have dashes across your odometer? if so, your processor is fried.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
There should be a light in the instrument cluster that looks like a "padlock with a half sillouette of a car next to it." This is the PAS indicator.

When the ignition is off, it should flash every couple of seconds or so. When you turn the car on, it should glow/light-up for three seconds or so and go off. If it stays on or starts flashing, there is a problem with the PAS system.

Note: This info is for a 2005 Focus and there is an possibility that a 2003 Focus is different.

Are you sure there is no sound at all when you try to start it, e.g., a faint click from under the hood area or something?

P.S. Since you have two keys, you could try the key recoding proceedure that is in your owners manual, look in the "Locks and Security" section for "programming spare keys" to get the proceedure. There is a silm chance that doing this might "kick-start" something in the PAS system so that it recognizes your keys.

Please do not feel insulted by the next comment. You are sure that the cables were reattached to the same battery terminals? And that in cleaning the connectors the smaller wire from the positive terminal sis not come loose or anything? Are there any other wires or harness plugs nearby where you worked that might have gotten inadvertently pushed or pulled? It never hurts to double-check everything you just did, and the area where you were working, when something quits working afterwards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is a response to kenopokid: yes there are dashes across the odometer. If the processor is fried, how much would a replacement cost?

Crap....

thanks,

Sanj

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guys, thanks for your help.

I guess it is fried. I am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Do u think it would be cheaper to go a small shop, as opposed to a dealer?

·
Registered
217 Posts
make sure the Small black and ornage wire(real small) is attached to the neg battery, from the main harness on the side of the engine compartment, i had the same problem as you and i found the little wire and fired right up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FIXED!

MY CAR STARTS...THE ECU is not fried!

spool3dSVT saved my ass!

I took his suggestion, and went downstairs to see if the wire he/she mentioned was disconnected. IT WAS, to my relief, disconnected. So I placed it back on!! and it started

BIG THANKS TO spool3dSVT

Sanj

Vancouver, BC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks to penguin as well!

I also wanted to thank PENGUIN. HE/SHE first suggested I go back and do the dummy check..making sure I connected everything I disconnected.

I went back to check..but overlooked the "littke orange and black wire" connected to the neg terminal. My fault...

But thanks for everyones suggestions.

Sanj

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread - I did a search and it saved my ass. The black/orange wire was hidden underneath some other stuff and when I found it, it was a huge relief to find out I didn't fry something.

·
Registered
420 Posts
sanj said:
[I reattached them ( red first, black last) and attempted to restart my car
do you put them on red then black, or do you ground it first, and then add the pos???

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same question as slammedzx3, cause you should put the Neg/ground up to the batttery first as to avoid frying things...I think...

check that out next time you need to disconnect your battery sanj

1 - 20 of 22 Posts