Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 zx3 2.0 zetec
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 ford focus zx3 2.0l zetec
All repairs about to be listed done in last 5 months.
Repairs:
Plugs
Plug wires
MAF
Pcv valve
Thermostat
Alternator
Starter
Battery
Alt-bat-starter wiring harness
IAC valve
All new fuses
All new relays
All new wire connectors to battery
(^all checked with multimeter and working)
Dpfe sensor
After market air intake
Fuel filter

Things I've tried:
-Cleaning MAF
-Cleaning throttle
-New battery terminals
-Fixed all found vacuum leaks
-Triple checked for any other vacuum leaks
-spark test
-compression test

If I forgot anything I'll remember when someone replies about it.

Most of the time the car cranks fine, but every now and then hot or cold it stumbles at idle and stalls out with no regard for moving/sitting still, hot/cold, or straight/in turns. When it does this sometimes it fires right back up and goes, but some times it turns over but doesnt actually crank, it always cranks before it's over with as of now but normally for a good 20-30 minutes all it does is turn over. Lights on and everything. I've noticed that when all of the accessories are turned off it cranks faster and easier.
When it's running at wide open throttle sometimes it takes to long to shift and it kind of stutters/shudders but only every now and then. But for the most part at hwy speed it runs good.
When in regular thru town traffic it dies at red lights and stop signs and pretty much anywhere else it stops, idles for a few seconds and then just dies.
If I put it into neutral itll rev up high and hold for a minute or so and then sputter out and die.
When I'm trying to take off/accelerate sometimes everything is normal but more times than any it starts bogging down and acting like it wants to stall and then it's like something catches (figure of speech) and it just gets up and goes almost like a power band in a dirt bike. Sometimes this problem feels like just random malfunctions with no rhyme or reason, but the only two things that are common/constant is trans stuff and idle stuff. I just need some insight from anyone who has experienced or heard of this.

Lean o2 code is the only code
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
942 Posts
Sounds like a collapsed PCV elbow in the back of the valve cover. Did you replace the hose or just the pcv valve?

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
Someone mentioned compression test but no result of it. The engines tend to die easier at idle the older they get (no mileage given) and really when using a/c.

Abnormal high idle and lean O2 is vacuum leak, never mind whether somebody found it or not.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
'...it starts bogging down and acting like it wants to stall and then it's like something catches (figure of speech) and it just gets up and goes almost like a power band in a dirt bike.'

We've discussed that tendency of zetecs way more than once. Older engine with higher mileage to lose ring/valve seal. Much worse in summer because the a/c is on.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The long list of items you put in the parts cannon didnt include an ignition coil pack. #1 ignition issue on Zetecs - stalling, misfires, hard start, etc. Take your ignition coil pack out and LOOK at it for cracks. Also look at the harness connector/wires for fraying/failure. If it needs replacing buy a Motorcraft part.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
X2, look CLOSE, ANY hairline crack can be a problem. Once you know what you are looking for the cracks are usually everywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts