Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 07 for sale that won't start, why? Because there is only one key and it has a hole through it. It will unlock the steering wheel but not start the vehicle. Any suggestions on how I can buy it and start it to drive it home and properly repair it there?

·
Registered
945 Posts
There is a 07 for sale that won't start, why? Because there is only one key and it has a hole through it. It will unlock the steering wheel but not start the vehicle. Any suggestions on how I can buy it and start it to drive it home and properly repair it there?
I dont think you will be able to do any 'jury rig' to get past the PATS (thats the entire purpose of it). Ford dealers and some locksmiths could make you a new key that they program to the existing PCM but I believe they would need the vehicle. Or perhaps they could make a new key if you bring them the PCM but Im not sure.

You could also purchase a PCM with pre-programmed keys.

Paul

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
Based on the logic and back story of 'why' a key would have a hole in it, well, it could be enough to make one consider what else on the car has been.......shall we say.....'altered', to provide even further difficulties.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see it the same as amc49. I’ve bought perfect looking cars from dealers with hidden issues, why start with one that has obviously been messed with? What else is going on there?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see it the same as amc49. I’ve bought perfect looking cars from dealers with hidden issues, why start with one that has obviously been messed with? What else is going on there?
Two reasons, one it is my cars automatic trans clone and second it is in pretty nice condition on the inside/outside minus a few little things like both door handles are broke(zx3) plus it's a good price.

Edit: obviously I can't hear it run, so there's that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've used FORScan to completely reprogram the PATS system on my 2005 Focus (lost one of the original keys). You will need two working keys that are compatible (cut to the lock and have the correct transponder) in order to initialize the system and program the new keys. If you only have one, then it will not work.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'd like to know the story on the key with the hole drilled through it. Ask the seller to show you the title, b/c this sounds like fishy as hell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts