Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, I need some advice ASAP, on the way home my 2003 SE Focus lost all Electrical power, radio,gages,four ways everything. But the car keept running. I tried to get as close to home as I could, then the power started to come back on and off, when the power would cut out then, the car would bogg down and the motor would stop and start very abruptly, as if i was slaming the car in park. Then when I started up hill it died, I had to cost backwards a long ways just to be able to get the car off the road. Not fun for me and my 7 yr old little girl. When I got the car to a safe place the power came back on, but when I tried to start it back up it was like the battery was way low. It was very hot out, the car showed no signs of any trouble this mornig. ANY ideas as to what could be wrong would be a GREAT help. I have to report to my unit first thing in the am for my 2 weeks out of the summer deal!!! I live 87 miles away from my unit. PLEASE anyone who has a clue please call me ASAP at 724 364 3008,, Thanks guys!!
PS or at least post you idea here

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
battery and alt.

get them both tested and yes this would cause those problems. check your battery terminals also. if they are corroded clean them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, I can clean the terminals today, but will have to wait to get the batt. and alt. tested Thank you VERY VERY much!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got the car home. I found a sensor or some such thing hanging under the mount plate for the Ingnition coil, spelled that wrong didn't I!? Anyway determined the broke part of the metal sticking out of this thing must have been grounded on the mounting plate. The wire seems to run up to the mass airflow as well, well the bundle of wires that also go to the M.A.. It appears the blade like peace of metal sticking out of this part was maybe bolted to the mounting plate for the coil pack. I move it around the front on the motor found a place to ground it, now the car seems to be ok. I wonder what that part is? It is kinda shaped the Arch de triumph, sort of. it says ford on it and the only #s I can read are 18801- AC and on the side it has 30690 there are other numbers but I can not read them. Any I deas?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Charge it with jumper cables for about 15 mins. Use the electronic odometer trick to get to the battery meter which looks like [bat 13.3] on the odo display. Start your engine, disconnect the other vehicle's battery, and watch the voltage readout. If it goes up to 14, then you have a bad battery, and it probably won't start again. If the voltage is lower than 13, and starts getting lower, then you have a problem with the alternator or alternator wiring connections. We have found where the plug-in connection can be damaged as well as the wires that go to it. The bolted connection might be loose, and finally the voltage regulator could be bad.

If you think your alternator is bad, then I recommend finding a local rebuilder to repair it for you. Those are not hard to find, and you can save $$$. Most locals are more reliable than chain stores.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much!!! I did put the batt. on a charger( still on ) but before I did that Took the car for a test run, Ran the hell out of it, got home left it on for about 20 mins with the high beams on the the heat on high 4 ways going and the radio blasting, hooked up a meter to the batt, and it was reading 13.6 to 13.8. I do not have another car right now to try what you said. I hope and pray the car makes it to my unit in the AM, I have to drive 87 miles to get there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts