Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd try doing the brakes myself even though I hate doing drums. Got the dust cover off and the center nut removed.

Drum is loose. Can wiggle it back and forth, but can't seem to get it past the shoes. Have tried hitting with hammer. Prying slightly with screwdrivers against back plate, being careful not to bend back plate and the darn thing just will not come off. I have a gear puller big enough, but the hooks on the ends are too big to get between the drum and the back plate.

Anyone have any advice. Almost ready to put the wheels back on, return the shoes and take it to a professional. Did the front discs in about a 1/2 hour.

Hate drums.

Thanks.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
i hate hearing when people take off the one big nut to do this... it is very simple by taking off the back four nuts. there is a how to somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read about taking off the 4 bolts, but also read that you still need to take off the big nut if replacing the drum, which I was planning on doing.

If I take the other posts the right way, if you take off the four bolts the center axle comes off with the drum. But even if I did it this way wouldn't I still have the problem of getting the drum past the shoes?

I found a rubber access hole on the front area of the back plate but doesn't seem to allow access to any adjusting star wheel to pull back the pads like on other drums I have done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, did another search and found this post by Captain Planet that I didn't find earlier. Will try the tire re-mount for leverage method and hope it works.

Post by Captain Planet:

I actually just did my rear brakes last night. (sorry no pictures) My car is a 2001 SE. It has 95K on it and the rear brakes had never been done. They started to grind yesterday on the way to work so I figured I was due.

Anyway, the passenger side was a real bear to get the drums off. I removed the nut on the hub/spindle and then put the tire back on the drum and put the lugs back on. Then the fun part......I put one foot on each side of the wheel well and pulled back and forth as hard as I possibly could......and eventually I got the lip on the drum over the shoes. I was nearly at wits end, but I got it. The driver side was pretty easy as there was no lip on the drum.

I replaced the drums and shoes and got a new spring kit. The hardest part was getting the self adjuster back in place with the shoes. My original shoes weren't as bad as I expected although I was glad I got them done.

I have been reading on here to see how everyone is doing this and now realize that I didn't torque the hub/spindle nut as I don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 200+ lbs. (I think I read 214 lbs.) I just put it back on as tight as I could since it was just about all I could do to get it off in the first place. Anyone have any suggestions? Check it out once and a while or am I headed for trouble?

Anyway, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put the tire back on and tried rocking it back and forth, but still wouldn't come loose. Took a look at things from the back end and saw that I could put a crowbar between the tire and a heavy boss near the back of the brake drum. Pried there for a awhile and got it to move enough so that I could again take the tire off and use the gear puller I had that would now fit between the drum and the back plate. Was finally able to get it off with the puller. So much fun. Can't wait to do the other side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts