Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Volant in today and I thought I would bring it to work to do the install. Got as far as removing the Air flow sensor thing and realized that I need the damn star head driver. But anyway to the question how the hell is the bottom of the stock air filter box come off the car? There wasn't any directions with the volant but I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. I guess I was wrong. Can't see anything holding it down but I can't really see under it to be sure. Help the rookie please.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sure about that? I don't want to break it? So what holds the volant down?

·
Registered
793 Posts
yeah the stock just pops off.... dont know about the volant!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
there are like three little clip things under the box, just pull up, i promise you won't break anything. when u take it out, the clips should still be in place, so u can even re-install it again if u need to later

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good to me. I would like to give it a try but I don't have the damn star driver to remove the air flow sensor. I'm sure I need to use it on the volant. That sucks, but oh well Thanks man. I bet I have to remove the battery tray to. Other wise how Am I going to get to the other tube that connects to the hood area for the cold air

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am I going to have to pull the battery tray to get the hose from the inlet by the hood to the box?

·
Registered
121 Posts
i used a drimle thing to cut a line in my sensor screw so i could use a flat head screw driver. after a while the head of the screw got kinda messed-up so i replaced both screw with ones that can be taken out with a philips!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the bits at home I think. At least I hope I do. Anyone out there with a volant to give me any good tips. Thanks guys this stuff always helps out.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know how hard it is to get to the bottom hose that runs from the hood to the intake box?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking of running home real fast to get the star bits but being that there isn't any other tools here then I wouldn't want to run back if the battery needs to come out. I would have to start packing tool boxes, and I don't feel like doing that in -20 weather.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did anyone elses Volant come with directions? Mine didn't, at first I didn't think I was going to need them but I havn't done alot of work on newer cars. The focus is the first car that I have moded that's been newer then 78. Thought I was all big and bad car guy but now when I open the hood I do alot of wondering "what the hell is this for" [screwy] [screwy]

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you don't need to pull the battery out to do it?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
OK.

1) just pull up on the box

2) you WILL need to use the MAF sensor with this intake. i recommend using the torx bit, but freestyla's way will work.

3) the volant just sits there

4) if you want to remove the stock snorkel, just undo the two "screws" that hold it up front, pull it out of the bottom of the stock airbox, and you should be able to scoot it out of the way w/o removing anything (maybe the battery cover). but why remove it? the volant has a provision in the bottom of the box to use the stock snorkel

5) put the filter/housing/MAF sensor together as a unit BEFORE you go to put it in the car! it'll make it a LOT easier!

hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool that's what I needed to know. Is the Volant loud?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
focaltech said:
Ok, the last thread I posted about which CAI to get you recomended the Volant. Didn't seem to say anything negitive about it. But the link you put up here is kind of negitive. Are you saying that the volant has a good chance to let water in to the engine? I would Think it wouldn't be any differnt from the stock system. Is this not true?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts