Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Focus and for the 2nd time in 2 months my battery has suddenly gone dead. Both times it has happened it has died with in 2 hours of the last time I drove it, the battery has never appeared weak, and the car has never been hard to start. The first time it happened the dash lights flashed, and then went blank. I charged the battery and it started right up and no problems until about 2 months later. The 2nd time it happened, the dash lights would stay on, and you could hear a clicking/buzzing sound when I turned the key. Does this sound like a battery issue? Ignition switch issue? Starter? It is the original battery, but like I stated earlier, it never appeared to slowly die, just suddenly dead. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Do you know what the alternator is putting out voltage wise?

Many auto parts stores do free electrical testing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure on the altinator, I'll definitely have it checked. I didn't think it would be that because the battery stayed charged for 2 months after the last time it happened, and no check engine light came on.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
You're flogging a dead horse if the battery is the original...........virtually no battery goes dead slowly anymore, they have way too much required load and often go all at once.

Change the battery.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"Sudden Dead" can be from internal short in a battery (common when old) & when bad enough the car won't work even with a jump start.

Getting a couple extra months is a bonus if that happened, def. time for new.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
And oddly enough the problem can come and go. Regardless, the battery is old enough nothing to be gained by flogging it further. If you want dependable you want a KNOWN good battery not an old one. Old is bad there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery

I went and had it checked, sure enough it was bad. Went to the dealer and got a new one, all good now, thanks for all the advice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts