Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Batt red light came on soon after I started driving this morning. The power off voltage is 12.5 VDC and the engine running voltage is 15.6 VDC.

I scanned for codes and there are no codes stored. There are no other warning lights illuminated. The Batt light stays on as I rev the engine up from idle and it stays on at idle. The accessory druive belt is good and the alternator connector is secure.

Any ideas what the problem might be or how to proceed from here?

I am thinking regulator. Does this mean a new or rebuilt alternator. Can a shop check it out and replace the regulator only?

Any help is appreciated. John

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Have your alternator tested, while still on the vehicle if possible.

If it comes up bad, see if you can have it rebuilt by a local shop.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
15.6 V is too high. Your voltage regulator is not doing it's job. Maximum voltage should be around 14.5V.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I called local shop and they said they can send them out for rebuild. It will take 1-2 days.

Thanks on the max voltage. I thought it seemed high.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the alternator repair shop talked me into a new alternator. He said he has never had one come back and has sold plenty for fords and foci.

We'll see.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hardest part removing the alternator was disconnecting the electrical connectors and prying it loose from the mount. Move it aft towards the firewall; not up, as it will hit the intake manifold.

It came out the top with some difficulty. point the pulley towards the drivers side and point the power stud down and start the rear of the alternator out first. I had to push the fuel lines out of the way towards the firewall to make room.

Unfortunately, the replacemement alternator is the wrong one, so I have to swap it for the correct one today.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they sold you the wrong alternator, maybe they haven't really sold many for foci.
Your probably right, but this is a rebuild shop. He got the engine wrong is what happened.

The new alternator is in and working fine. The engine running voltage is 14.8VDC. The batt light was on with the old one running at 15.6VDC so I think the problem is fixed.

Putting the new one in was fairly easy. It was loose on the brackets, but as I tightened the mounting bolts the lug inserts on the back flanges pulled out and it tightend up nicely. The lugs did a lot of creaking as I tightened. This concerned me, but it tightened up OK.

Thanks to all focus fanatics submitters for your help.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Glad you got it up and running. Hopefully that new alternator came with a warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts