Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so for the past 3 month i have gone through 6 alternators i thought i was just getting bad parts from autozone but when i got up under the car and when it was up on the lift with the car running i saw a devistating site the exhaust manifold is melting the alternator. it took me for ever to figure out why it was doing it until i found some one with the same car as mine a few days ago and asked if i could look at his i noticed im missing a heat sheild on my exhaust manifold. theres a few of them on the car but im missing the one that goes between the alternator and the header.any ideas how to fix this i went to the dealer and they said the only way to fix it is to buy a new manilfod and cat which is 1700 bucks... needless to say i told him to f++k off and walked out[hatchet]

any ideas?

ive looked everywhere for for another one but i cant seem to find any of the focus zx4 st parts anywhere, ive gone to every junk yard and parts dealer in my area even checked ebay nothing>>[bash]

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Buy some titanium header wrap or contact Steve at Tousley .

That dealer was probably BS-ing you, so hit up Steve, he can probably get it for you.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
You need to take it off. You have an ST, so it should be the factory performance header. So it should be pretty easy to wrap, a 50ft roll should be more than enough.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Any auto parts store should have it. It's called DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Do u have a heart or stock cat/manifold?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I never understood why the alternator couldn't have been in a better place when they switched to the Duratec engine. With the Zetec it didn't matter. That is a lot of heat back there for a little alternator to deal with even WITH the heat sheild. I often wonder how much longer our alternators would last if they were somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
There is an animated 3D modeling of the Dtec engine and there is also a shroud that goes around the alternator for cooling. Not sure if the alternator has a fan on it or what but there is some kind of duct that is hooked to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts