Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster so go easy on me. Here is the scenario:

I was driving the car down the road and I lost all gauges, radio, and A/C. The car kept running and I made it back to the house. Snatched the battery out and took it up to Oreily's and they said the battery was bad. After reading some forums I found someone recommended an Interestate battery so I bought that one. Set me back $120 but the car ran fine for 1 month. 2 weeks ago I am driving down the interstate and the same symptoms started except this time the car died. Got it towed to the shop and had them do an electrical test on it. They told me I needed a new alternator. Quoted $340 for replacement/install, and being the cheap person that I am, I bought an alternator off ebay that I have yet to install. When I went to go and pick up the car I hopped in and it cranked fine and drove it to the house. I drove it up to Oreily's and they put a volt meter on it. The new battery was 11.7V with the car off. With the car running, the volt meter read the exact same.

I am about to go outside to change out the alternator, but is there anything else that would cause this? I have checked all the grounds, and the pigtail appears fine at the alternator.

And yes, the battery light has been on the entire time I have owned the car...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
When the car is running what do you measure off the alt?

I think the alternator has a 3 pin clip and a big fat lead. That lead should go directly over to the battery.

Is that plug in all the way?

Have you checked all the fuses? There is one box under the dash and one in the engine bay.

My car has a 1A fuse under the dash fuse #10. called "battery voltage sense"

Ide try and trace the big lead off the alt and see if there isnt an inline fuse or something between the alt. and the battery.

When looking at my manual at the fuses i dont see anything about alternator fuse or charging cirquit but it would be unsafe not to fuse that lead off the alternator. There has to be one, specially if its hooked directly to the battery.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Sounds like the same thing that happened to me and many other Focus owners and its almost always the alternator.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
oh i didnt read the part that he hasnt installed the new one yet (the one off ebay)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds exactly like an alternator... With the car running try taking the negative terminal off the battery... The car should remain running if the alternator is good... It'll die if it's pooched!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
I attempted to take the old alternator off and got everything unhooked only to not be able to get it out of the car [boxface] . How do you get the old alternator out? Does it have to go out the bottom of the car or does it come out the top? I tried every which way to get it out and gave up on it and put the whole thing back together.

I did notice that when I jump the car off and leave the jumper cables hooked up to my truck, the battery light on the dash goes off. Going to take it to the shop and have them replace the alternator. I nearly lost my religion trying to get the old one out[rant]

·
Registered
659 Posts
you need to pull the axle shaft out of the spindle and move the axle shaft out of the way.Then the alt. will come out thru there.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If you really wanted to go the cheap route, you could've removed the alternator and taken to a local rebuild shop. That would've cost you $40-80. Only 2 things ever really go wrong with alternators: voltage regulators, and bearings.

Good luck with it, and I'm sorry you didn't post here before you bought your ebay alternator. We have deals with online parts suppliers like Rock Auto who have really excellent prices. Things like alternators and starters are best rebuilt locally though. Those businesses exist in nearly all areas because they thrive off local repair shops who then charge customers for a new alternator. You won't see ads, but you will find them listed in the business pages or yellow pages.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
What if you remove the exhaust manifold? Im thinking about installing a header. I wonder if i should replace the alt. then?

·
Registered
624 Posts
before you install the ebay alternator, check to see if you can purchase a new regulator. It would really suck to hear that you went through all that hassle and the new (used) one does not work also

1 - 10 of 10 Posts