Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum and any help you can offer is appreciated.

My daughter is away at college and heard a loud "pop" from her engine and immediately started losing oil. She traced the oil trail to where it began and found this broken piece (see attached).

I have had 3 mechanics look at this including the local Ford dealership and no one can provide a definitive answer. Best guess is a piece of the engine block.

Do anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,452 Posts
Is it iron?

I'd be looking at engine mount attachment areas and where the axle support bolts to back of block. Heck, the oil leak will show you right where it is. If iron that one is going to cost.............

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
The d-tech block & head is alloy & not iron. So like amc49 mentioned, the oil leak will reveal where the piece goes. What kind of oil is it? engine, trans?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Different guess.

If three mechanics can't find an oil leak, I'd guess that is road debris from someone ELSES problem.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Sorry, no, I can not tell what part that is. Here are a few ideas;

When you tow the car to a repair garage you will be stuck there and need another tow if you decide not to have it repaired (at that garage) due to potentially high repair costs. Consider having a car savy friend (of your daughters) to inspect the car and find the broken spot. It will be easy to find. ID the broken part on the car and take some good photos. Use the car savy person description & the photos to get price quotes on parts and labor.

Other thoughts are;
She might have hit something, and just did not see it.
Maybe maybe it is a part of the engine block area that connects to the passenger side engine mount. That broken piece is very interesting looking because it is missing two things! A larger piece (like the engine) and whatever was threaded into it on the opposite side. Maybe the thing that was threaded into it was the engine mount stud, and that stud is still resting within the engine mount. Think I am wrong, but had to take a guess.

Oh, other have now responded, I was slow and watching the news on TV.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hmm interesting, wonder what caused that to happen. Looking at this picture I happened to find that shows the back of the D20 engine it could very well possibly be one of the rear bolt holes that are shown, maybe one of the holes on the bottom row one as it did not appear to be at an intersection of the reinforcing ribs? Possibly the one on the left (behind the dipstick tube in picture) as at least on my 06 ZXW w/ auto transmission that hole doesn't have a bolt in it and the one next to it is for the mount for the passenger side halfshaft bearing.

Reference: Picture is from this blog showing putting a Focus 2.0 Duratec engine into a Triumph Spitfire w/ a Ford Ranger oil pan http://invisiblesun.org/blog/?m=200904

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Different guess.

If three mechanics can't find an oil leak, I'd guess that is road debris from someone ELSES problem.
Awesome guess.

No, 3 mechs could not tell what it is by using only the photos. No mech has been under the hood yet. AFAIK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response guys. I can't answer your questions as the car is several hours away and I haven't been see it personally. My daughter is certain it is oil. No trace of oil in the engine compartment so we're leaking underneath.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Different guess.

Awesome guess.

No, 3 mechs could not tell what it is by using only the photos. No mech has been under the hood yet. AFAIK.
I think Sailor nailed it. Also, that piece might be what JUMPED UP OFF THE ROAD and damaged the Focus.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Looks like a broken piece of aluminum block to me. I'm guessing front of the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for your help. I realize I need to check this out (or someone else) but it is quite a drive to get there. Here are some additional photos showing different angles. Hopefully, someone can pinpoint exactly where this came from. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Can she get a volunteer to crawl under the car? The maintenance department on campus might be willing to look. Send them a nice e-mail, and perhaps copy the campus police or their equivalent.

Toby

·
Registered
17,452 Posts
Put a magnet to it and see if it's iron or not, it may well be aluminum and from the car. If iron then not. Impact from something else could have knocked it loose. May be an unused bolt boss, the flat has no squeeze impressions on it and the threads look unused as well.

There is absolutely no way you can leak all oil out though and not be able to find a leak or damage there or some of the grossest incompetence I've heard of.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Pictures can lie, from the appearance I still doubt it's from that car.

No real point guessing until someone takes a look at the car, at this point it sounds like that hasn't been done. Not even an oil level check reported.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ except that Zetec engine was never offered in '05.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts