Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Ford Focus 2.0 SOHC cranks but won't start. I've got a bright blue spark on each cylinder, 60 lbs of fuel pressure at the rail that bleeds down to around 40 lbs, checked timing belt for breakage/missing teeth/slipped timing, all seems okay. Spray some starter fluid in the intake and I can get a few back fires and pops. Pull the plugs after cranking and don't appear to be wet, so thinking it is a fuel issue. Could it be the camshaft position sensor went bad? Plan on doing a compression test this weekend and getting a node light to see if I am getting signal at the injectors. Any other thoughts??? I'm stumped to say the least...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Fuel + Spark + Compression = boom.

You should check compression, and quick. SPI engines are known for dropping valve seats. This causes low compression in one or more cylinders, and if allowed to continue results in engine destruction most of the time. If you catch it before the valve seat falls and crunches between the piston and the cylinder head- you can have it repaired at a machine shop. If not, you'll be calling someone to tow the car to a salvage yard, or convert the car to the Zetec engine. SPI engines are not readily available in salvage yards because of this valve seat issue- and if you do find one, the salvage yard owner knows these engines are rare, and will charge a premium price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts