Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the check engine codes are 420 and 442. 420 is for the Cat and 442 is for a small leak. Im a college student and cant afford to get the $600 Cat from the dealer, any other options???
How can I detect where the leak is?
Last question
Where is the PCV Valve?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
16 Posts
leaks are easy to find. Get a spray can of Carb Cleaner and with the car running spray the cleaner over the vacum hoses. When the cleaner hits a leak it will suk into the hose and the car will rev, presto leak found. I'm going to assume you have a SPI motor, the PCV Valve is the plastic peice sticking out with a hose, from the back of the valve cover.
Try and fix those first and see if it clears the code for the cat, alot of times it will.

Good Luck and Welcome to Focus Fanatics!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Norcalfocus but I know the piece youre talking about and thats not the pcv valve. I have a 2.0 zetec motor if that helps in finding it. What about the Cat??

·
Registered
16 Posts
the cat, there is nothing you can do other than replace it. like I said fix the other prblems and hope the code clears.

There should be two tubes coming out of the valve cover, one is the breather hose the other the PCV valve.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
well you can always not buy the cat off the dealer cause they'll screw you anyway (well, usually, let's put it that way) I've found them for cheaper online, then you could probably take it in and have them install it for you (like another place, not the dealer).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I want to know Mikebontoft is where can I get the Cat cheaper and with less probability of being screwed cause if I go to the dealer the probability is high....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone else that can give me some info on how to solve my problem without spending a fortune? Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts