Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys need help on this one. my buddy and i want to go to the track but i don't the helmet requirments. once again this will have to happen on a budget.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Get a Snell 2005 rated helmet.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to ”Racing, Rally & Autocross”...
What type of racing??

Carrera26 has a good suggestion though.
While not all sanctioning bodies or event venues will require a Snell rated helmet,
if you get one, you're pretty much covered everywhere.

BTW, if you do plan on any Road Course type events, they will more than likely require a Snell "SA" (Severe Application) rating.
Autocrossing, I.E. SCCA Solo2 type events require just the Snell "M" (Motorcyle) rating.

·
Registered
308 Posts
<--Warning! Focus newbie!
If you are going to be doing HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) on a road track then they will probably require a Snell rated SA helmet as they are made with fire resistant materials. If you are just doing autocross (my specialty) then any motorcycle helmet with a Snell M2005 sticker in it will do.
Important- Whatever helmet you buy it must have a Snell sticker inside or you won't be allowed to use it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all i want to do is go to the drag strip what a frustrating issue

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hmm, the Drag Strip that I'm going to start going to doesn't require them for stock, pro stock, or open stock. I don't know about the rest though.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Last year my strip required a snell 90 or better for all competitors (it's an IHRA strip). Check for your strips website, or call.

Example from a Michigan drag strip;
ALL COMPETITORS RUNNING 13:50 OR QUICKER PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2006 A NEW HELMET RULE IS IN EFFECT!!

THE SNELL 90 HELMET WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED. YOU MUST USE THE SNELL RATED 95 -K98- 2000, 2005 OR SFI 31.1 - 31.2 - 31.1A - 31.2 - 31.1 2005- 41.1 - 41.2 - 41.2A - OR 41.1 2005.

·
Capital Obvious
2,562 Posts
cheapest place to get one is www.denniskirk.com . You can get great helmets on closeout for REAL cheap. Most are discontinued models that are Snell 2000 or M2000 rated. I got a full face Nolan for 42 bucks shipped.

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ Check out their archives, June 2005 Issue. VERY extensive helmet test; certainly changed my outlook on some brands I've worn in the past, simply due to the Snell label. A real eye opener, real world tests. A few well known helmet manufacturers pulled all advertising from them shortly after the issue hit the press.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
svtguy21 said:
all i want to do is go to the drag strip what a frustrating issue
Unless you plan on breaking 13s, you don't have to worry about it. Unless you want one, then stick with a Snell 05.

·
Registered
25,620 Posts
Drag strips are very lax on the helmets usually, as Egz said, unless you are into the 13's you will not need one, and if you do, anything will be fine, until you get into needing a cage, then they check.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
viney266 said:
Drag strips are very lax on the helmets usually, as Egz said, unless you are into the 13's you will not need one, and if you do, anything will be fine, until you get into needing a cage, then they check.
I would again advise you to check with the strip you are going to race at. If you think getting a helmet is frustrating, try showing up to a track to race without a helmet and find out that they have a track policy that requires one for all classes.

·
Registered
25,620 Posts
Just so you know, I agree with wearing a good helmet ( I roadraced motorcycles for years ). I was just being honest , at least around here the tech guys are pretty relaxed until you start going fast. But you are absolutely correct ^^^

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I dont think that "cheap" and "safety gear" should ever go together. Not saying you have to go buy some $800 super helmet, but I'm not going to try to scrimp on something that protects my brain...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
at this point i would say my car is in the low 15's. next thing i completly agree with not using cheap protection but i'm in my almost stock car going down a straight road! if anything goes wrong while on a straight road i souldn't be driving

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I feel very safe at the strip, and personally would be very comfy making runs without a helmet. I think that one danger present at the strip that I don't see on the street, is 9 and 10 second cars blowing past me when I bracket race. I'm doing almost 90mph when the blow past me doing 130-140.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Yeah, just like on the street, it's not ME screwing up that neccesarily worries me. It's the joker who can't handle his horsepower in the lane next to me.

At worst you have a helmet and never have to use it (in an accident), are out about $50-$100.

At best you survive an accident with brain intact.

It's just cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
svtguy21 said:
at this point i would say my car is in the low 15's. next thing i completly agree with not using cheap protection but i'm in my almost stock car going down a straight road! if anything goes wrong while on a straight road i souldn't be driving
"Murphy's Law":

What CAN go wrong, WILL go wrong.

So like the Boy Scout motto says svtguy21 ...

"Be Prepared"!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts