Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 25 male from socal, inland empire region.
I got my 05 focus zx3 about 6 months ago. Car only has about 75k on it. Looking to gain as much life out of it as possible. As well as have some fun with it along the way. It is my daily driver. I take it about 40 miles total to work each day.

Let's get down too it I guess, so the car already came with an exhaust on. I'm a total newbie so I have no idea what kind it is ect, sounds nice though. I do already notice some minor issues about the car that id like to take care of hopefully someone on here can help me. The cars a manual, when starting the car I noticed it had a ticking noise just running I looked to see where it was coming from and it's near the pullys that are belt driven. That's fix one, second is when driving on the freeway I noticed that when between about 60mph and all the way up to about 72-75mph theres this sort of low like humming noise and it's continuous until after 75 mph with rpms at 3k.
Also I have a head lamp out, checked fuse looks fine. Replaced it anyway, also checked lightbulb and replaced anyways, wiring harness looked burnt out. Brownish burnt like matter where the bulb meets connector, replaced that. Still no luck. Turn signal works as well as the parking light. I have no idea what the issue is there.
Anyways any info helping me would be cool, I'm on a budget so I don't have loads to drop in the car right now. Looking to take my time and learn to do the work myself if possible. Thanks!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The tick noise is the imrc= the tumble flaps in the intake manifold. You see w/ the motor idling open the hood & remove the vacuum line that goes to the passenger side vacuum solinold from the intake manifold & you'll hear the tick go away. Hitup the search link for d-techs tumble flaps to what they look like. You could live w/ it for a while or just replace the i/m w/ a new one. Humming noises could be tire or wheel bearing related.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat, better spot for repair questions.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah I'd have to second felix's thoughts, it's probably the tumble flaps in the intake if it's only at idle and you hear it closer to the passenger side because that side is least supported and usually starts deteriorating first. Look into what felix said to confirm that. And the humming sounds more tire/wheel bearing related I would check your wheel bearings first. Jack the car up and put your hands on the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and shake the wheel in and out, any play will indicate a bad wheel bearing. Make sure your tires aren't chopped out either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thanks guys! I'm looking in to the tumble flaps as well as the bearings, I did manage to locate a wiring harness for the head lamp, still not the issue. I'm figuring it's time to replace the whole housing, not sure. If that if the case I'm going to be grabbing up some after markets. I read a thread about disconnecting the electrical from both the solinoids and that the clicking stops. Not sure how safe that is? Also if I do this, am I going to be needing a tune?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Unless 2.3 engine, your car only has 1 set of tumble flaps-> IMRC.

Disconnecting the vac or electrical to the system is not hazardous. Once disabled, you will get a check engine light (CEL). Outside of general testing, most people have no good reason for permanently running with IMRC disabled; if you did, yes, you would need a Tune get rid of the CEL. With that DTC and CEL, you would fail State emissions testing.

Lots of people like me run with rattling tumble flaps. Assuming noise is not crazy-bad, you're OK with some rattle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes sense, thanks for elaborating, so basically just suffer until I can afford an after market?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rear windshield wiper dosnt work never noticed before lol because we've had no rain in Cali since I got the car. I guess I should check the fuse lol I always have a hard time finding where these things are since there are two fuse housings In the car

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts