Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am the owner of a 2013 focus SE hatch with the 5MT. I bought this car back when I was still going to college and wanted something that I thought would be a great commuter vehicle. After much research I landed on the focus. It ticked all the boxes for me, great on gas, fairly spacious, offered a lot of creature comfort options, somewhat fun to drive, and being 3 years old at time of purchase, something I wouldn't have to keep sinking money into. I knew of the DCT issues through my research on different economy cars but figured it didn't matter since I've always driven a standard anyway, so I searched for months trying to find the prefect focus for the perfect price (it was actually pretty difficult to find a 5 speed focus in my area that wasn't an S). Finally I found it. I picked that baby up with 82000 miles for 5500 bucks with the winter package I wanted! Man was I excited. Little did I know at the time this would be the absolute worst vehicle I've ever owned, and this is someone who came from an older WRX (I was young when I bought that and just wanted something with some get up).
Within the first heavy rainfall I noticed my first issue, the car leaked water. It came through the rear quarter glass ran down the pillar and seat, and collected in the rear seat tray. This wasn't a huge deal but I was fairly annoyed as I just bought the car. Fixed the leak, then all hell broke loose. Whenever it would rain or was excessively humid out the car would stutter and sputter when you'd touch the gas at all until eventually It would just die and not start again until everything dried up outside. I had it die on the highway at speed, I had to push it out of the middle of an intersection, ect. The car was in and out of the dealership about 10 times for an 8 month period. It spent more time at that point on the back of tow trucks and at the dealership than I had spent driving it. The dealership updated software, replaced fuel sending unit (twice) and secondary pump, fuel pressure sensor, they replaced tons of fuel system parts, and ultimately the entire chassis harness. I had spent 1.75x the value of the car repairing it.
After all was said and done the car seems about 80% normal, it still sputters a bit in the rain but just once quick while going up steep hills and it hasn't left me stranded again since, but I still have zero faith in the car and refuse to take it anywhere far. Now the newest electrical gremlin happened, again, in the rain. My wipers sometimes stop in the middle of the windshield and refuse to return to their parking position. It was not pleasant driving on the highway at sunset in the pouring rain and your wipers fail.
Finally to wrap it all up nicely I've never seen a vehicle have so much rust on every seam like this car does. It had some rust on the hood seam when I bought it but it was very minor now it is on the hatch seam, driver door seam and rear passenger.
To make a long story short, I know my experience is probably unique and doesn't represent all Focus but I've never owned a more unreliable car in my life. I thought I was being smart buying a standard, that I would be fine. I would have been better off with a 1000 dollar shit box. I'm new to the site and I read this is where you introduce yourself and your car, so there ya go, that's her. If you read this whole rant I applaud you, you're a real trooper but this seemed like the perfect place to vent my frustrations.

2013 Focus SE 5MT AKA the rolling dumpster fire.

w/ my magic bag
Welcome to FF......Really this could happen to any vehicle.....Condition & miles I'd check out 1st.....Seems like you jumped on the 1st one that came along.....

Registered
Hi. I am the owner of a 2013 focus SE hatch with the 5MT. I bought this car back when I was still going to college and wanted something that I thought would be a great commuter vehicle. After much research I landed on the focus. It ticked all the boxes for me, great on gas, fairly spacious, offered a lot of creature comfort options, somewhat fun to drive, and being 3 years old at time of purchase, something I wouldn't have to keep sinking money into. I knew of the DCT issues through my research on different economy cars but figured it didn't matter since I've always driven a standard anyway, so I searched for months trying to find the prefect focus for the perfect price (it was actually pretty difficult to find a 5 speed focus in my area that wasn't an S). Finally I found it. I picked that baby up with 82000 miles for 5500 bucks with the winter package I wanted! Man was I excited. Little did I know at the time this would be the absolute worst vehicle I've ever owned, and this is someone who came from an older WRX (I was young when I bought that and just wanted something with some get up).
Within the first heavy rainfall I noticed my first issue, the car leaked water. It came through the rear quarter glass ran down the pillar and seat, and collected in the rear seat tray. This wasn't a huge deal but I was fairly annoyed as I just bought the car. Fixed the leak, then all hell broke loose. Whenever it would rain or was excessively humid out the car would stutter and sputter when you'd touch the gas at all until eventually It would just die and not start again until everything dried up outside. I had it die on the highway at speed, I had to push it out of the middle of an intersection, ect. The car was in and out of the dealership about 10 times for an 8 month period. It spent more time at that point on the back of tow trucks and at the dealership than I had spent driving it. The dealership updated software, replaced fuel sending unit (twice) and secondary pump, fuel pressure sensor, they replaced tons of fuel system parts, and ultimately the entire chassis harness. I had spent 1.75x the value of the car repairing it.
After all was said and done the car seems about 80% normal, it still sputters a bit in the rain but just once quick while going up steep hills and it hasn't left me stranded again since, but I still have zero faith in the car and refuse to take it anywhere far. Now the newest electrical gremlin happened, again, in the rain. My wipers sometimes stop in the middle of the windshield and refuse to return to their parking position. It was not pleasant driving on the highway at sunset in the pouring rain and your wipers fail.
Finally to wrap it all up nicely I've never seen a vehicle have so much rust on every seam like this car does. It had some rust on the hood seam when I bought it but it was very minor now it is on the hatch seam, driver door seam and rear passenger.
To make a long story short, I know my experience is probably unique and doesn't represent all Focus but I've never owned a more unreliable car in my life. I thought I was being smart buying a standard, that I would be fine. I would have been better off with a 1000 dollar shit box. I'm new to the site and I read this is where you introduce yourself and your car, so there ya go, that's her. If you read this whole rant I applaud you, you're a real trooper but this seemed like the perfect place to vent my frustrations.

2013 Focus SE 5MT AKA the rolling dumpster fire.
Actually the "perfect place" to vent your frustrations would be on a GM, Mopar etc Forum, you should get a lot of sympathy on one of those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts