Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd introduce myself before asking a question...

I'm the proud new owner of a 2001 ZX3. I bought it about a week ago, and it's the most fun car I can remember owning. It's barely got 18K miles on it, and it's in beautiful condition. I look forward to many years of driving fun. [:)]

I'm looking at doing a few mods, and am interested in adding some sort of intake system.

I'm not interested in racing the car. I just want a little more 'oomph' and a nice sound coming out of the pipe.
I likely won't put any kind of exhaust system on the car. I may add some bigger plug wires and maybe even a underdrive pulley eventually, but the intake is what I'm focused ( [:)~] ) on right now.

From all the info on the web I've seen, I'm leaning towards two (apparently very different) choices. Either an Iceman CAI or a MAC Shorty RAM intake.

What are some of the pros and cons of each system when it comes to everday driving? I keep reading about hesitation from a dead stop w/ some systems, and I don't think I'd enjoy that.

How loud does adding these systems make the car sound? I don't want to do anything TOO loud. I don't wanna make the neighbors too mad at me. [;)]

Does the climate you live in make a huge difference in an intake system's performance? I live in a fairly warm part of the country, and will be moving to Texas in a few months, so that won't change.

Like I said earlier, I am looking to add some 'oomph' to an already fun to drive car. Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
volant and ice man are the quietest intakes, ice man the quietes, puts up good numbers, volant gets the benefit of a cone filter. id reccomend either one. climate affects the cars overall performance as does the intake, no direct effect there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Mac Short intake, on the other hand is probably one of the loudest. I can absolutly say it's the loudest I've heard. But it's worth it for the "little" better performance (IMO). The Volant would be great, but it's pretty pricey...

Just my thoughts... [:D]

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I have the Iceman and I'm happy with it. I use my car for everyday driving and it's nice have a little extra power in the lower RPM's. The MAC or any of the other short intakes might get you a little more power but they don't kick in until you hit the higher
RPM's(3-4K+).
I've also heard that they are louder and when you are at idle, you can hear a sucking sound coming from your engine.
The iceman is almost as quiet as the stock intake. Just a little louder since the resonator/silencer box is removed from the side of the air box and replaced with a tube.
[thumb]

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
If you're going to get a short ram, your best bet is going on ebay and picking one up for $35.

A short ram is a short ram, the AEM $200 short ram is the same as the ebay one, it will give you a nice sound at a very acceptable price.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
what kind of neighbors do you have?!? "those damn kids with there loud ass intakes!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yeah i agree with blk on this one, short ram is a short ram my friend has a no name brand one and it think it might actually be a littler better than most because the filter is pushed all the way to the right of the motor, not a big difference from others but nice to be that much farther from the motor.

Shoot if you are bored get on of those and a cheap sheet of aluminum at Home depot get some tin snips and make a heat shield, then sand down the edges so you dont cut your fingers on the thing .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts