Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2012 dark gray hatch back with under 46k on the odometer. I'm coming from a Volvo v50 which I am very bitter about losing (terrible mpgs in the city).

I'll be honest, the Volvo was a way better car in nearly every other way. I miss it terribly. Help me like the focus. It's attractive looking and has a bit of pep, but this automatic gearbox is absolute trash. I hate it. Hate isn't a strong enough word. It's the worst.

So, a few questions:

1. how do I begin to like the focus?
2. What do I do about this awful gear box?
3. Any thing I should look at replacing asap?
4. Is it okay to cry about how much I miss my Volvo?

Cheers,

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just picked up a 2012 dark gray hatch back with under 46k on the odometer. I'm coming from a Volvo v50 which I am very bitter about losing (terrible mpgs in the city).

I'll be honest, the Volvo was a way better car in nearly every other way. I miss it terribly. Help me like the focus. It's attractive looking and has a bit of pep, but this automatic gearbox is absolute trash. I hate it. Hate isn't a strong enough word. It's the worst.

So, a few questions:

1. how do I begin to like the focus?
2. What do I do about this awful gear box?
3. Any thing I should look at replacing asap?
4. Is it okay to cry about how much I miss my Volvo?

Cheers,
Take it to a Ford dealer and ask them to flash it with the latest software, which I believe is still TSB14-0197. Should smooth out the DCT noticeably (along with minimizing the "twitchy" steering feel). Also, I find that if I use the S (sport) mode on the gear selector around town, it learns not to try to shift prematurely (repeatedly, which causes the "shudder" that many complain about). Then, at 45mph and higher, I'll upshift it back to regular D mode. I haven't had the shudders in months driving this way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You begin to like your focus when you start modifying, exposing the great car that hides inside. I think the first time I was extremely proud of my focus was when I put on my CAI and hit a back road. It makes a fantastic ruccous for a four cylinder and it became even better when I put the rear sway bar on and could hit those turns even faster. Sure, it isn't a mustang or an STI or anything like that, but it wasn't meant to be. For a 20K car, it is tremendous fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts