Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS. I have had this car since it was new, and it has held up well.
It is now at 105,000 miles, and the strangest thing has happened, and I am at a loss.

When I turn on my headlamps they work fine. No problem, however, when I try to turn on my brights the lamps shut off completely.

Now I have placed new bulbs in as of today, I have checked all the fuses I could easily tell are light related, but I can not figure out what the heck the problem for the life of me.

I'm almost to the point of taking it to a dealer just to find out what the problem is and fix it myself, but I hate paying 100.00 for a diagnostic check.

Any advice, knowledge, or ridicule for missing something obvious will be graciously accepted.

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
Well first off welcome to the Forum...there's a lot of great people and information here. As to your problem, I'm thinking that the high beam switch itself may be bad. I'm assuming there is a switch inside the steering column, along with the turn-signal/dimmer stalk, that controls the high beams.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have to agree with both Ideas. Check the relay first. If it is not that then It has to be the switch. It is easilly replacable. Go to focussalvage.com to get one and install it urself

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Is the switch in the car "clicking". If not it is probably the switch. I would guess a bad relay as well. Let us know.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Everyone else answered your question (I'm guessing the relay or possibly the switch). Anyway........

Welcome to FocusFanatics.com!! [thumb]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I never got back to here. It was indeed the relay. That thing was burnt so bad I had to pull it out with pliers. Anyway, all fixed now and only for $6.95. Thank you so much for the advice. This group is awesome.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
[welcome] that is what this site is all about. lots of useful(and useless) info here, lol. more useful though.[paranoid]

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
dude, i so miss running fm2222 out to the lake...lol
that and partying on mt bonell. but then again that was the early 80s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts