Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a new member. I own a 2003 ford focus. This morning when I started my car it smelled horribly of fuel. Within 10 miles I went from 1/4 tank to empty. Does anyone know what this could be? Fuel line? Injectors?

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
Moved to "General Technical Chat". Welcome to Focus Fanatics! Check your lines for any possible leaks. Another thing could be that you are over-filling the gas tank which also floods the charcoal canister. When the charcoal canister is flooded over, the fumes will sometimes go up into the cabin of the vehicle. If you don't know how to check the lines yourself, you can always take it a trusted local mechanic to give it a good look over.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Just turning it on pressurizes the lines, even without cranking it to start.

Turn it on to the run position without starting, then off & start looking for dripping fuel - first underneath, then in the engine compartment.

Best to repair without driving it for a major leak if present.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Definitely a leak. Fuel lines would be first thing to look at. Start at tank and the rubber hoses and the hard lines and follow them to the front of the car. Don't know were you live but salt will take toll on them. Just did my Sister-laws car end up replacing all of the hard lines because of rust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts