Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have recently entered the world of cars with the purchase of a 2011 Focus S. I have previously owned 4 Ford trucks which I loved and modified considerably. I am hoping to do a few modifications to enjoy the Focus even more than I already do. I have a few questions:

1. short ram intake versus CAI. Is there really enough of a difference to risk water intake with the CAI?
2. Exhaust. Systems seem to be pretty popular but would cutting out the resonator and stock muffler and replacing with a Magnaflow or the like do the trick? I ask because I had good results with my trucks.
3. General engine question: I have a 2.0 Duratec (right??). What are these 2.3L engines you speak of? What is a ZX3 or ZX4?
4. Programming: what are your experiences? I've had good luck with an XCal2 in the past on some F150s.

These forums are awesome and I have already learned a lot, but I can't seem to find the answers to these questions. Thanks for your help!

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Hello everyone! I have recently entered the world of cars with the purchase of a 2011 Focus S. I have previously owned 4 Ford trucks which I loved and modified considerably. I am hoping to do a few modifications to enjoy the Focus even more than I already do. I have a few questions:

1. short ram intake versus CAI. Is there really enough of a difference to risk water intake with the CAI?
2. Exhaust. Systems seem to be pretty popular but would cutting out the resonator and stock muffler and replacing with a Magnaflow or the like do the trick? I ask because I had good results with my trucks.
3. General engine question: I have a 2.0 Duratec (right??). What are these 2.3L engines you speak of? What is a ZX3 or ZX4?
4. Programming: what are your experiences? I've had good luck with an XCal2 in the past on some F150s.

These forums are awesome and I have already learned a lot, but I can't seem to find the answers to these questions. Thanks for your help!
Welcome to the forums, I still learning but I'll try to help ya out.

-The duratech comes in both 2.0 and 2.3. The zetec and SPI are 2.0.

-ZX3 is 2 door hatch
-ZX4 is 4 door sedan
-ZX5 is 4 door hatch.

Here this will help ya out.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179098

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Pretty much all your questions are answered at the top of the Duratec Performance section in the sticked threads. I'll touch on the questions....

1. I ran a CAI for 3 years through all seasons and never had a issue. Keep your splash shields in place and your fine. I do believe there is a slight horsepower difference in favor of the CAI.

2. If your wanting a better sound than keeping the stock piping and replacing the muffler will work. If you want some actual HP gains then go with a 2.5" system....there are couple bolt on options.

3. You have a 2.0L Duratec. The 2.3L came in the 05-07 ST only and 03-04 for the Green States only. The 2.3L in the ST has a bit more power due to the PZEV system on the Green State 2.3's. The ZX3 is a 2-door hatch, the ZX4 is the 4-door sedan. The ZX5 is the 4-door hatch. In the 2008-2011, there is only the 4-door sedan and 2-door coupe. No hatchbacks.

4. Really the best option for tuning your Duratec is the SCT device and a custom tune. I have the Xcal2 for mine and had Ray @McNews dyno tune it. I think some people have played with the Megasquirt but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
for your car you must use a xcal 3 just as a heads up. the xcal2 wont work(= welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I can answer almost all these!!! But Jgrove made the best points.

1. Get the CAI. You won't regret it. Sounds amazing, and definitely helps top end.

2. I have the Stealth Exhaust and I love that as well. Sounds great, nice deep tone(not ricey) and helps with power as well.

4. The xcal 3 is the tuning device you would want. As far as someone tuning it, well that's debatable.

Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright guys thanks for the great information! Since I am from CA I am assuming this is a PZEV engine. Is that an issue with intakes or tuning?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have a PZEV and had no issues with it. I absolutely LOVE it. the intake screams on nice cool nights. Tuning wise, I doubt it, but since I don't have one yet, I can't answer that.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Just add both & enjoy!

Alright guys thanks for the great information! Since I am from CA I am assuming this is a PZEV engine. Is that an issue with intakes or tuning?
Nope, just add both at the same time & enjoy the better response & MPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts