Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruising around tonite, came across this guy, and I was quite surprised to find that I very very slightly beat him from a roll... Course he'd prolly take me off the line, tho I'm not sure.

Just brought this up cuz I thought a car like this would be faster, even WAY faster. After all, they put a turbo on a 2.5 to make the STi.

Oh well. Still sounds really good!

·
Registered
162 Posts
i raced one two times from 45. lost first time by half a car up to 80 then we slow down to 45 we hit it and i pull a car on him and a little more up to 90. i got a better shift in this time. it did sound good

·
Registered
605 Posts
[nutkick] Dude I'm calling BS....stock they have 165hp....just as much as your car, so if it was turbo'd I doubt he was racing, probably just toying with you.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
im agreeing with bonacci

·
Registered
60 Posts
i'm not. i ate one once also. it was too easy. but it's the driver plus the car, not just hp, gearing, curb weight, all that..

you kids play nice and i'll tell you the story of how i beat up a 911c4 one time. then also a new bmw 7 series. of course, there was that millen 350z that hurt me back. can't win em all, hey?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm still pretty certain it's a legit kill; 165hp may be what they have at the crank, but after you run through all those differentials and stuff it's prolly quite a bit less at the wheels.

He wasn't toying, I don't think- I'm quite sure that he was running his car up to redline. One of the reasons why I got ahead is cuz when he shifted 3-4 I was still pulling hard in 3rd, and then I shut it down cuz I was doubling the speed limit.

BUT there were 4 people in the car. Oh well. Still beat him!

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
funny how the 2 people who called bs have zetecs..i dont think yall know how good the top end of the svt's are, they START pulling hard when we STOP pullin hard so i think you coulda beaten him, and on stock turbos like that, they whined out the higher in rpms they go

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
svt4chris said:
Just brought this up cuz I thought a car like this would be faster, even WAY faster. After all, they put a turbo on a 2.5 to make the STi.
They didn't just slap a turbo on the 2.5 to make an STi just like SVT didn't just only increase the compression on the SVTF. There is a lot more to the STi 2.5 that the regular 2.5RS does not have.

With that being said I would say this is NOT BS and that you took him. AWD takes a shit load away from the power that he could possibly be making.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Held my own against a turbo'd 2.5RS

blackandgold said:
They didn't just slap a turbo on the 2.5 to make an STi just like SVT didn't just only increase the compression on the SVTF. There is a lot more to the STi 2.5 that the regular 2.5RS does not have.
I agree entirely!!! But, given that, I have a question- are the parts available (aftermarket) to turn an RS into an STi? I guess I kinda figured that the guy might have more power, assuming that such parts could be found.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I'd run it, I'm not afraid of the big bad STi.......

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
svt4chris said:
^^^ You shouldn't be, by the looks of it I think you'd walk an STi.
Not from a dig. He would be spinning too much.

To answer your other question. The parts are availabel but by no means would it be cost feasible. He would be better off just swapping the engines out. Seems to be a common occurence with Suby owners. They just swap engines like there is nothing to it but anyways all the different parts in the EJ257 would cost more to get then buying the whole engine.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Dont be too sure of the spinning...... a Quaife really helps[thumb]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I belive you, pay no attention to the BS'ers on here, they will get on their little bandwagon everytime and most of them have no idea what theyre talking about. Thats the biggest reason i dont post these kills on here anymore. besides, you'll have plenty of us that wont call BS and totally believe you. I have made kills that nobody believes, but [email protected]# them if they dont believe ya.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used to own a 2.5 RS with exhaust and an intake, and the best I could muster out of it was 15.7 sec at 86mph, with a 1.8sec 60' time, So as long as the 2.5RS isn't turbo, an SVTF would beat one from a roll.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Also, with an aftermarket turbo kit, especially if it wasn't done really right, there is probably going to be quite a bit of lag. Starting from a roll and the way he said the other guy had to shift back from 4th to 3rd would both play on the Impreza being out of it's powerband. Not to mention an extra 600-800 lbs of human is going to make a real difference.

And who says this guy really knew what the crap he was doing, either driving or tuning?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All things taken into account, I still believe I have a viable win. No, he didn't go from 4th to 3rd- I just said I got ahead a bit more cuz I was still pulling in 3rd when he shifted.

The car didn't seem to have much lag, I'd been cruising around with him and a few others for awhile and he'd been goosing it all the time- and the car pulled just fine (the nose of his car definitely jumped up) and he made plenty of boost fast as I could hear his BOV.

Who knows what the real deal is... sometimes turbos don't make much difference perhaps- I've heard of a guy with an SVTF who beat a turbo'd ZX3 on the 1/4 mile, I think.

If I can find the guy again, I'll try to meet up with him and find out what his car's actually got i.e. tuning-wise.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts