Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got a few questions to ask, and I have to throw a little background info out first.

I have a 2001 Focus. It is a stripped down, 4 door model. A couple of years ago, she slung a rod through the engine block and had to have the engine replaced. The new engine was from the same year model, with a fresh rebuild. The shop that did the work for her isn't what you would call reputable and we've had a list of problems since.

Problem number one, and probably the biggest concern of mine at the moment is the car doesn't have enough power to pull itself up an incline. She parks in a parking garage where she works, and about halfway up the ramp the car just feels like it runs out of energy and slows down to a crawl. I am going to replace the fuel filter and change the oil tomorrow, and I was wondering if there was anything else I could take a look at while I have the car up on the lift?

My second problem is when she stops quickly, occasionally the car stalls out, and sometimes won't crank again. She doesn't seem to see any consistency on what causes this. It doesn't struggle to run at all, it is just like a car that has a remote start with a brake pedal kill switch. Also, and this might be related, when she is driving, the car skips a beat on occasion. Again, the only common variable when this happens is that it's more common on days that the weather is changing, and especially warmer days. I have experienced this myself, and my theory is a COP (if this car even has individual coils, I'm only familiar with ford trucks so correct me if I'm wrong here). Any ideas on what to look for there?

Last question is the car has a HORRIBLE vibration when it first starts and it continues till it is warmed up. It is definitely the engine, and happens on an idle. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help on this stuff, and I apologize for the length of this post.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I would do the fuel filter first...That could cause it, THEN check to make sure it is running on all 4 cyl. That could explain the vibration AND the lack of power. Bad plug wire, or bad plug. I would change all the plugs on GP and check the spark on each one while you are there. If you have a compression tester handy ( or can borrow one) check the compression on all 4 cyl. while you have the plugs out.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
No problem, let us know if they work, and if not we"ll keep going.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
do u have a zetec or Spi engine? that will help us in out diagnosis.
I would check all the "tune up" items. plugs, wires (no COP on that model year), air filter, DPFE/EGR

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
pop your hood and take a picture. post it. might have an idea

1 - 6 of 6 Posts