Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Focus 2.3 auto with 182145 miles At speeds of 35 -65 mph it blows heavy blue smoke from tail pipe, a loss for power, it lasts for 5- 15 seconds. It may only happen 1 time a day or 2 or 3 times a day. Once the oil gets 1 - 2 quarts low it doesn't do it . I removed valve cover to check oil return holes, clean ,nothing clogged up .Next removed intake manifold to get to PCV vale & chamber on block. Removed cover, nothing clogged .Hose is open & firm. replaced PCV valve with Autolite AP103. Still blows heavy smoke . Any suggestions on what to do neat ?

w/ my magic bag
Sounds like your rings are washed.......You really don't want to run it low as it'll take out the rods......

Registered
Two things are the most common culprit,

1. If it smokes at startup = Valve guide seal(s) are bad
2. If it smokes when driving = Piston rings are worn

If this is primarily when driving, i suggest starting to look for a new engine or another car to have as a backup. You can limp this car long for quite a while, but eventually you will oil starve and lock er up

Registered
Time to replace a quart or two with Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. I don't care what anybody says I have used this stuff for 15 years it works for engines burning oil.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like your rings are washed.......You really don't want to run it low as it'll take out the rods......
If the rings your are talking about are the piston rings, the top ones are compression rings, if they were " washed" the engine would be low on compression it would be hard to start and low on power. The bottom piston ring is the oil ring if it was " washed' the engine would smoke all the time. , not intermittently . As far as "it'll take out the rods" . Running low on oil may cause the main & rod bearing to wear out, The rods won't be affected .

w/ my magic bag
This motor uses a low tension rings.....The rods would be affected if bearings are gone. Its not like you could just swap the bearings.

Registered
At 182K miles on a 15 year old car unless you are really low on cash, I would just look for another car - it can't be worth spending the time to investigate and fix unless you can do all of it yourself. And even if you can, then having a backup car would be an excellent idea.

Registered
Intermittent smoking like this suggests something wrong with the breather system or other emissions system.
Bad rings will usually smoke when decelerating and puff briefly when accelerating.
Valve guides cause smoke at startup, and can cause continuous smoking.

The fact it comes and goes, and the power loss is intermittent as well points to something else.

Registered
You can test the rings by pulling a spark plug putting in a teaspoon of oil and sticking a compression test gauge (barrowed from a parts store), pull the ignition fuse and crank without starting. Watch the gauge for leak down, you should do this on all 4 cylinders to see if there is a large difference between them. If the compression is even (if if low) then it's just age/mileage. If compression is good then it's the valve guides. In either case, if the car still drives ok, & seems to have decent power, I'd just keep the oil up and live with it. It could go several years like that. If power is bad or it begins to billow blue smoke all the time its you'll have 3 choices, rebuild the engine, replace the engine, or replace the car. But if it's getting 2 quartz low that's almost half the capacity, it will be a short time for total engine failure. Keep it topped off, check it weekly, and start saving for a replacement.

Registered
You can test the rings by pulling a spark plug putting in a teaspoon of oil and sticking a compression test gauge (barrowed from a parts store), pull the ignition fuse and crank without starting. Watch the gauge for leak down, you should do this on all 4 cylinders to see if there is a large difference between them. If the compression is even (if its low) then it's just age/mileage. If compression is good then it's the valve guides. In either case, if the car still drives ok, & seems to have decent power, I'd just keep the oil up and live with it. It could go several years like that. If power is bad or it begins to billow blue smoke all the time you'll have 3 choices, rebuild the engine, replace the engine, or replace the car. But if it's getting 2 quartz low that's almost half the capacity, it will be a short time for total engine failure. Keep it topped off, check it weekly, and start saving for a replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts