Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up my ZX3 on Saturday (yesterday). i picked it up in queens so i didn't get it on the highway during the extended test drive so i saw no issue. heading home after picking it up, i noticed a heavy vibration in the vehicle once i hit around 50-55 MPH.

it's ONLY in the body. i feel nothing through the steering wheel- so i think that rules out a bent wheel or anything up in the front end. it doesn't matter what gear or if it's in neutral. it starts between 50-55 MPH and it's heavy and annoying. my passenger seat shakes like a b*tch. i can even see the wipers (which i admit are a tad loose) shaking a bit.

i brought it up to my uncle who has a shop today when he was at my house and he said i probably had a bulge in one of the tires. passenger side front tire had a small bulge i hadn't noticed (it was really crappy and rainy yesterday and didn't notice it) and i thought he had solved the issue. i popped the spare on and.... same problem.

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Oh wow... start the list.

There are so many things that cause vibrations that there's no way that we can diagnose this over the internet.

First off, try wheel stuff: check the tires, balance, wheel bearings.

Of course, this vehicle uses hubs on all 4 wheels, so bearing replacement is not to be taken on lightly. Diagnosis is still the same- keeping in mind that there are sounds due to the CV axles up front that are not bearing noises.

You should do a motor mount test to verify if you have motor mount problems, then look at each mount. The most likely culprits are the lower dogbone mount, and the rear engine/trans mount.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm going to get the wheels, tires and balancing checked tonight as soon as i get home. after that i'll look into the motor mounts- i had suspected them as i had a similar issue in my old golf (but at a wider range of speeds) that turned out to be a motor mount.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
try having it aligned too, sometimes that will throw the car off. Does it vibrate at even higher speeds than 55-60, like lets say 70. I had a grand Prix GTP and that thing started shaking terribly when I got over 55 and the reason was one of the weights they stick on the tire to balance it had come off, so like WhynoththinkWhynot said have the tires re-balanced

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah it starts at around 50-55 MPH and continues as you go faster but it doesn't seem to get any worse. i figured the tires/wheels were the first thing to check out so i'm going to a tire shop first thing when i get out of work, i'll report back afterwards. thanks.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I am almost willing to put money on it, that one of those balancing weights came off the wheel then, thats the exact same thing that happened to my old car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My thoughts:

1) Out-of-balance tire, probably on a rear wheel, which is why you can't feel it in the steering. Make sure you ask the tire shop for a dynamic balance, which will catch some problems that a simple spin balance won't. If the request prompts a blank stare, try a different tire shop. [;)]

2) Bent wheel.

3) Flat-spotted tire, if the car doesn't have ABS.

4) Bulge or broken belt in one of the tires. Cheap tires can sometimes have problems with the internal belts that will cause obnoxious vibrations without any obvious signs on the exterior of the tire. What kind of tires do you have?

5) If the pulsations get worse when you brake, it could be a bent hub.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i was going for the balancing issue, but...

i took off the rear wheels and the tires were F*ed. bald spotted in some places, unevenly worn, etc. i got four new tires and an alignment and im picking it up this evening. PO seemed kinda lazy about anything outside of oil changes. i'll report back.

thanks for the help. i hadn't had time to look so carefully with so much work and stuff.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just got it back and it's great... got some cheap all seasons put on. the tires were pretty messed up and it was severely out of alignment, particularly in the rear. now it's great- quiet, stable, and absolutely no vibrations.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Good, these cars run pretty good for eco cars. I ran mine over 5000 miles in 2 months and never had problems, youll like the car more and more once you get to driving it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts