Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im just wondering ive only done a few things to my car like paint the valve cover and timing chain cover and a few other thing but i was wondering if it would hurt performance any if i was to remove the heat shield off the manifold.its ugly and makes my eyes sore looking at it.any advise would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
It wont hurt performance but ive heard from the excess heat in the engine bay from this, especially it being right next to the radiator, that it can affect the temp of the coolant and make the car run hot.

Thats what ive heard, not sure if its accurate or not, but I too want to remove this cover.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It mostly just keeps anything from touching the header. I wouldn't worry too much about removing it. You could get some exhaust insulation wrap from summit racing or jc whitney if you get worried about heat.

I've had a 4-2-1 long tube header on my car for over a year now and after all the hot summer weather last year, nothing seems to be adversely affected under my hood from the lack of a heat shield.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have heard good things about that heat wrap. It really drops the temperature of the air arounf the exhuast. My uncle has it on is Trans AM.
But It you do bog down just slap it back on

Logan

·
Registered
137 Posts
are you guys talking about a heat wrap or a header wrap? I've only heard bad things about wrapping a header. ie- it cracking

·
Registered
384 Posts
I removed my heat shield becasue it was rotten BUT i wanna make a new shield out of think stainless steal that cover the header and the cat.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I think the rusted header underneath is uglier than the heatshield. Pull the shield and give it a nice high temp paint job.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Floppin27 said:
are you guys talking about a heat wrap or a header wrap? I've only heard bad things about wrapping a header. ie- it cracking

I guess you call it the heat wrap - the insulation they sell in a roll that can be rolled around the header pipes for protection of the surroundings (wires and such). I've used it with no cracking problems and good protection. It's just itchy to install the stuff...

·
Registered
137 Posts
oh ok, gotcha. I was thinking of the wrap that looks like white tape, (similar to what would be on a hockey stick) and have only heard bad things about that. Never heard anything about the insulation though, might have to go with that myself.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i wouldnt bother with wrapping it or what not. i would just have it jet-coated. do you realize that a SVT header just went off ebay for 56 dollars??? omg!! wish i was home to bid. that would be my spare to get coated.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i used header paint on my last car...they sold it at autozone...you remove the header, clean it,spray it,and bake it in the oven for 2-4 hours.looked like it was jet coated.too bad all the food cooked in that oven tasted like paint for a while but it was well worth it.[thumb]

·
Registered
225 Posts
CAIS95 said:
i used header paint on my last car...they sold it at autozone...you remove the header, clean it,spray it,and bake it in the oven for 2-4 hours.looked like it was jet coated.too bad all the food cooked in that oven tasted like paint for a while but it was well worth it.[thumb]
Can I paint some new headers with this paint? I'm getting some stainless OBX headers from EBAY and they are ugly unfinished. I dont like chrome headers, but paint would be good...info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
348 Posts
hEaT said:
I think the rusted header underneath is uglier than the heatshield. Pull the shield and give it a nice high temp paint job.
I agree.

Back in the day I painted mine black and it blended in quite nicely.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
TrixAreForKidss said:
Can I paint some new headers with this paint? I'm getting some stainless OBX headers from EBAY and they are ugly unfinished. I dont like chrome headers, but paint would be good...info would be appreciated!
I got the obx headers off of ebay as well. after a couple of days driving the headers
are a nice gold/bronze color. oxidized very well, except for the burnt on finger prints!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts