Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

My engine went hot and the failsafe came out when I was driving...it turns out I have a leak from the heating coil...that's what I my dad said. How hard is this to replace? Is it something you can do it your self easily? How much would it cost for someone to do it? My dad says it would cost alot of money....like 600 or so...

If it is easy to do...is there any instructions on the web that shows you how to do it?

Thanks!

Kevin

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
To SKA: Yeah, "heater core" is probably it... I must of had a brain freeze last night, as heater coil and heater core do sound quite similar and could be easily "lost in translation."

To faliol: I haven't done it on a Focus, but generally replacing a heater core is a time-consuming PIA. I suggest you spend $15 on a repair manual which typically should give the repair procedure and sometimes a few photos. You can then decide if you are up to it. While the manuals are far from perfect, for $15 they are a good reference to have around to get the gist of various procedures.

But how do you know it is the heater core that is leaking? Can you see a coolant leak from the area of the heater core? Replacing a heater core is not something you want to do unless you are rather sure it is the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts