Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first winter with the focus. The problem is the heat works fine when driving but soon as I start to idle the heat gets cold. The coolant level is good that was the first thing I checked. The guy I got the car from said he put a different t-stat in it and it was not the stock setting. Any help is greatly appreciated.[dunno]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did that work for you?

Similar problem myself. Seems more like a vacuum problem within the system. My temperature as indicated is good, coolant level is excellent, and the radiator is nice and hot, even with the temperature outside being 10F today.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did that work for you?

Similar problem myself. Seems more like a vacuum problem within the system. My temperature as indicated is good, coolant level is excellent, and the radiator is nice and hot, even with the temperature outside being 10F today.
I haven't got a chance to do it yet. Wife is pregnant with baby #8 and I work alot of hours so time is not on my side. Plus I live in Michigan and have no garage so unless the car doesn't get me to work and back I'm not in a hurry to do work on it. Same with mine as far as the indicator and coolant level. One think I forgot to mention is that my heater only works on the highest setting but I don't think that should effect how hot it blows

·
Registered
69 Posts
I haven't got a chance to do it yet. Wife is pregnant with baby #8 and I work alot of hours so time is not on my side. Plus I live in Michigan and have no garage so unless the car doesn't get me to work and back I'm not in a hurry to do work on it. Same with mine as far as the indicator and coolant level. One think I forgot to mention is that my heater only works on the highest setting but I don't think that should effect how hot it blows
#8? I think you're doing pretty well with heat...LOL!

If the blower motor only works on the highest setting, that's generally a resistor pack that takes care of that.

I agree, should not affect how hot it blows.

This is the ninth winter season for us in this car, and some say this is "common". I really struggle with that idea.

I'd like to find an online Ford manual, but I haven't had luck. Might be a blend door problem, but I'd like to see a manual that gives me a clue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Big_daddy...what's your temperature gauge doing?

Mine is warming up normal. If my thermostat wasn't working, with the single digit temperatures, I never would have warmed up. My temperatures have been indicated as normal. An underhood check yesterday, she was good and warm even with a short trip to take the kids to school.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Shouldn't that overheat the engine...
No, it'll still flow coolant...open is open, right?
But I think it might restrict the flow (because of it being backwards) at partial openings, and when your at a stop, your not getting any coolant forced thru the heater core....
Does that makes sense?
Just a theory...

I remember one summer, I decided to totally remove the t-stat on my ZX-7R, thinking it would keep the motor cooler and flow easier, right?
The first time I got in a traffic jam, it overheated (and it NEVER went past 1/2 way on the gauge before!)...when I got home and shut it off, it boiled coolant
out the overflow and onto the pavement...
As soon as I replace the t-stat, it never overheated again...
Kinda weird...

·
Registered
69 Posts
No, it'll still flow coolant...open is open, right?
But I think it might restrict the flow (because of it being backwards) at partial openings, and when your at a stop, your not getting any coolant forced thru the heater core....
Does that makes sense?
Just a theory...
Well, a t-stat starts closed at below it's rating. If it always remains closed because the coolant never warms on the side that actually opens the t-stat, the engine would overheat.

I'd still like to see a coolant flow chart.

I remember one summer, I decided to totally remove the t-stat on my ZX-7R, thinking it would keep the motor cooler and flow easier, right?
The first time I got in a traffic jam, it overheated (and it NEVER went past 1/2 way on the gauge before!)...when I got home and shut it off, it boiled coolant
out the overflow and onto the pavement...
As soon as I replace the t-stat, it never overheated again...
Kinda weird...
Bikes are a little different. With no t-stat, some move too much coolant and the coolant never has time to cool down enough in the radiator. On a bike, if you want to not have a thermostat, you gut the thermostat and leave the plate in as a restriction to slow the flow.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Right, right...
The 'spring' would be on the wrong side.
I guess your motor would overheat, and your heater temps would be SCORCHING!

I'd have to think coolant pump/accessory belt/air pockets/coolant level then...
I know my SVT cools a few degrees at a stop, and warms up again when moving. But never to the cool side of things...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Where would your heater core be in this diagram? On the orange line?
With the t-stat closed, the coolant flows only to the engine and heater core, correct?
Doesn't it by-pass the rad entirely?
What about when the stat opens? The coolant still needs to go thru the heater core...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Big_daddy...what's your temperature gauge doing?

Mine is warming up normal. If my thermostat wasn't working, with the single digit temperatures, I never would have warmed up. My temperatures have been indicated as normal. An underhood check yesterday, she was good and warm even with a short trip to take the kids to school.
I still have the stock gauge so I don't know numbers but it goes to just a hair passed half way and stays there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
#8? I think you're doing pretty well with heat...LOL!

If the blower motor only works on the highest setting, that's generally a resistor pack that takes care of that.

I agree, should not affect how hot it blows.

This is the ninth winter season for us in this car, and some say this is "common". I really struggle with that idea.

I'd like to find an online Ford manual, but I haven't had luck. Might be a blend door problem, but I'd like to see a manual that gives me a clue.
I could be wronge but I would think if it was a blend door problem then it would stay the same temp all the time. With higher rpms it get hotter. It has to have something to do with the flow of coolant (I would guess[dunno] )

·
Registered
69 Posts
I still have the stock gauge so I don't know numbers but it goes to just a hair passed half way and stays there.
I'm in a similar boat.

I could be wronge but I would think if it was a blend door problem then it would stay the same temp all the time. With higher rpms it get hotter. It has to have something to do with the flow of coolant
My thought was that the blend door is vacuum dependent, and with more RPM's, the door goes to the location that gives heat under vacuum load.

Can't find any diagrams on line. Really quite irritating because I can find and ask for about anything on a Power Stoke truck and get it immediately.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm in a similar boat.

My thought was that the blend door is vacuum dependent, and with more RPM's, the door goes to the location that gives heat under vacuum load.

Can't find any diagrams on line. Really quite irritating because I can find and ask for about anything on a Power Stoke truck and get it immediately.
O.K that makes sence. I never messed with blend doors before[thumb]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some Fords use vacuum to stop the flow of coolant to the heater core too. My Excursion is an example, and even a Ford Ranger. Gonna have to look. Cold though. I'm in the same boat as you, but I have a garage. [race]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some Fords use vacuum to stop the flow of coolant to the heater core too. My Excursion is an example, and even a Ford Ranger. Gonna have to look. Cold though. I'm in the same boat as you, but I have a garage. [race]
I'm going to wait until spring unless it get too bad or we get a break in the weather. What I wouldn't give for a garage.[mecry]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts