Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, 2 days ago my wife's heater in her 2002 ford focus, suddenly gave out.

She called me on her way to work saying she had been driving for 15 minutes and it wont blow hot air. The fan works fine and still blows but she said she couldnt feel hot air.

When she got to work she said that she might have been able to feel a bit of warm air but nothing that would matter( i think that it was her mind saying its warm)

Keep in mind its around 5 degrees Faren.

We have never had a problem with the heater in the past

The Temp Sensor is warming up and sits perfectly in the middle.

Where can i look what do i need.

Im having a hard time working on it cause A. I dont get home from work till dark and B. ITS FLIPPIN FREAZIN!

Please HELP!

·
Registered
240 Posts
it could be your heater core thats clog or just dont want to work no more.also how many miles on it?have you replace you water pump? or done any coolant work,if so you might of gotten air in the coolant system...but if you havent touch the coolant i put my money on the heater core thats cousing this prob.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Your thermostat is most likely stuck open. It won't cause any serious mechanical harm its just annoying to the person that wants heat. It is fairly easy to replace.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Your thermostat is most likely stuck open. It won't cause any serious mechanical harm its just annoying to the person that wants heat. It is fairly easy to replace.
I know very little about cars... but I agree! Exact same issue just happened to my focus and it was the thermostat stuck open. If you know how to replace it yourself I highly suggest it as I paid $20 for the thermostat and $134 for labour.... ouch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
this could be it, but at some point the water temp would heat and start blowing hot air. and he said the temp gauge is normal in the middle.

if you turn the knob for the heat control, can you hear the flap moving? (there is a flap inside the dash that directs hot air or cold air) if the motor is blowing and you have air, but the flap is not moving than thats your problem. also scine the car is heating up to normal temp than your heater core is not leaking. its got to be clogged. take it to a mechanic and have then blow it out. my parents had there truck done last month cost 150 bucks.

hope that helps bro, lord know you gotta keep the wife warm!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not convinced its the thermostat. The car heats up find doesnt overheat doesnt underheat. She said during her trip last night it started warming up a little bit still under 15 degreees. Im going to go drive it right now ill give you my observation

·
Registered
672 Posts
On the lower part of the center dash, there is a knob that directs inside air or outside air through the system. Make sure it is redirecting inside air, as taking 5 degree air and trying to heat it up another 60 degrees just won't work. Get back it this sort of helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked, The flapper when you cycle back and forth through cold and hot works... fan works on all speeds and speeds up when it goes to cool.. which i believe is normal happens in my other car..
RECAP

heats to normal temp.
fan works
flapper works

Thanks for your help like i said its kinda hard to diognose when its 20 below and dark

Nate

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> heats to normal temp.

You cannot trust the temperature gauge, as it isn't a temperature gauge in the normal sense of the word. The "gauge" will always go to a fixed "normal" position when the temperature is within a certain range. If it is at the low end of the range, it will still point "normal." Many car companies have done this due to people complaining the needle is not always in the same spot on a very hot day with the A/C running full blast. So the companies "fixed" it so the temp gauge works more like an idiot light, e.g., notice how quickly the needle goes to "normal" one it gets into the range on the gauge.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
It's fairly easy to see if your heater core is clogged. Get the car warmed up, turn the heater knob and the fan to high. Have a helper keep the engine at a high idle.

Then reach down from under the hood and touch both the heater hoses, going into the cabin. They both should be hot....equally so. If one hose (the outlet hose) is a bunch colder.....you have a restriction of some sort in the heater core.

If both hoses are cool, or only slightly warm, you have a general coolant circulation problem, or a thermostat problem.

I'd bet thermostat.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from a long drive. There was a few times it got warm but then slowly went cold again.
Correct me if i am wrong. Could it be the water pump. here is why im thinking this..
when i parked i left the car running with the heat off and ii could litterally see the needle fluctuate back and fort. (could this also be a thermostat) Ive changed both on my jetta before and it ended up being a waterpump with broken fins.

Give me your opionions
The fact that it gave off heat makes me pretty certain its not in the heater or fuses or blower resistors, thermal fuse
nate

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
The thermostat sounds like its in partially fail-safe ( doesn't close all the way)... mines been doing that for about a year now and the only way we get heat on mine is setting 2, defrost setting, ac off, recirc on..
Some days she will cook the interior some days it will never heat... and it doesn't matter the outside temp either

Change the Thermostat it should fix the problem.. a new factory ford thermostat (Zetec) from Mike (FF name is B16sir1991) at Hilbish is just shy of $10 which is alot better then the $28.99 from the local stealership...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help i will be changing out the thermostat tonight. Ill let ya know if that solves it. BURR its cold

Nate

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it changed out took me about 10 min to swap it and get her runnin again. Blowing hot air as fine as the day she was born.

THanks for the time saving info!
Nate

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm glad it's fixed, heat is nice!

I think it's a little like being a hypochondriac, if you have this symptom and that one, but you've had that on before and it was something else - could it be!?

Sometimes I'm glad I don't know too much to nothing about my car because I can't question it like a crazy person... it just is.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
It's a damned shame that the Focus temperature gauge cannot pick up on a problem like this. Most cars with a stuck-open thermostat would show the temp needle in the cold range.

Why on earth Ford would screw up like this with their setup is beyond me. A working gauge makes trouble-shooting much easier. Thanks Ford.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
WHAT!!!!!!!! [smackbum]
Seriously! Teach me how to fix it and I'm all for it...

People take advantage of women... and in my case I honestly don't have a clue what to expect so it happens. I signed up here to maybe help me sort it out, plus I want to make my car look hot.

Also for some reason it seems like things in Canada are just more expensive, exchange rates and such I guess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts