Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2012 Focus SEL, with Dual automatic climate control. About 144,000 km.

The whole time I've had the car I've noticed in the morning when I turn on the car, that the climate control (when on auto mode) takes a minute or two before it starts to respond. Recently this has gotten a lot worse, taking 5-10 minutes before the fan starts blowing. It now also does not respond when I go into manual fan speed mode.

HAS ANYONE ELSE ENCOUNTERED THIS ISSUE AND HOW TO FIX IT?

This is now a hassle, since I am not able to defrost the windows and cannot drive in the mornings. Living in Canada with cold and frost typical in the mornings, it's a feature that needs to work.

I'm having some electrical issues which I'm currently troubleshooting (not starting properly). I'm not sure if the battery has gone bad, there's a electrical drain,or the fact the average temperature has been -20 Celsius for the past thee weeks.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Electrical problem are hard to diagnose.

Can you check the battery with a multimeter ?
1° Leave the car shutdown for at least 8 hours.
2° Check the voltage of the battery before you start the car.
3° Check the voltage of the battery 15 seconds after the car started.
4° Check the voltage of the battery 5 minutes after the car started.
5° Check the voltage of the battery 15 minutes after the car started or when you get to your destination in the morning.

Please report your readings. The problem could also be a bad alternator. When the car is running, take the alternator's voltage and report here.

It could also be a problem related to the engine harness. This require no tool to diagnose except your eyes. You can follow the instructions in the TSB 14-0215. If your harness is damaged, bring it to a Ford dealer asap.

----

The problem related to your climate control module is probably not the same as the battery issue (if it turns out that's the case) unless the problem is the alternator. Possiblity could be the PCM or simply a bad module. Replacing the climate control module is fairly easy. You can probably get the part brand new for about 180$-200$. You can also check the scrap yard where you can get the parts for under 100$, prettu much guaranteed.

----

In the wrost case, I'd suggest a trip to your dealer or a trusted mechanic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swapped the battery and that seems to be solving the starting issue. It's still a bit sluggish to start, but it's still also staying around -15 to -20 celsius (as daytime highs - yikes!)

I don't think it's the alternator, unless the diodes or the voltage regulator is doing something funky, but it is charging.

Kept shutdown over night
before starting V = 12.10 (via multimeter)
15 seconds after starting V = 15.20 (via multimeter)
For next 40 minutes of driving V = 14.9 - 15.0 (via OBD/Bluetooth monitor - pretty steady)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone else with a dual automatic climate control (SEL, titanium) notice if there is a delay when turning on the defrost/fan control right up after startup?

I want to know if the delay that's always been there is common to most focuses (foci?), or is it just mine.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Swapped the battery and that seems to be solving the starting issue. It's still a bit sluggish to start, but it's still also staying around -15 to -20 celsius (as daytime highs - yikes!)

I don't think it's the alternator, unless the diodes or the voltage regulator is doing something funky, but it is charging.

Kept shutdown over night
before starting V = 12.10 (via multimeter)
15 seconds after starting V = 15.20 (via multimeter)
For next 40 minutes of driving V = 14.9 - 15.0 (via OBD/Bluetooth monitor - pretty steady)
The car should start after 3-4 cranks at -20°C. The engine is pretty rough for the first 10 minutes or so but after it should be quiet like in the summer.

The original voltage overnight is prefect: 12.10V is a good battery voltage. However, reading 15.20V is not a good sign. Also, the charging system showing 14.9/15.0V, is yes, steady, but not normal. In fact, it should show ~12.4V after 5-10 minutes. Ford has a system that should keep the voltage at 12-13V during operation after 5-10 minutes. IT should spike at 14V only if required.

Just giving my 2 cents on speculation, I'd say your alternator, charging system, or even the car's BCM is the issue here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts