Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum. I know this topic has been covered but i need some advice, I have had the problem of rain water getting in through the pollen filter and filling the passenger well , and i think that it has possibly caused a shorting out of some component as i can't get my blower to work i found the fuse for it in the engine compartment but when i change it , it blows straight away.

1. Could the problem be the Thermal Resistor
2. Could i disconnect it then put a new fuse in to see if it blows the fuse

Regards Dave

·
Registered
238 Posts
Whenever a fuse blows right away when you put it in that means there is a short somewhere between the switch and the ground of the circuit. If the resistor was bad usually the blower motor still works in some, just not all fan settings. Not just quit on you all together.

And welcome to the forums! Your in the right place for help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right just seemed a coincidence that i get water in the passenger well and no blower , can you recommend what my options are reluctant to take it straight to the dealer if it's something i could sort out

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well if you have a DVOM (Digital Volt-Ohm Meter) I would use that and your eyes to try and find the short in the circuit tracing it from the switch to the motor. You could take the motor out, induce 12 volts of power to it and see if it comes on. If it does your problem is in your circuit. If not, then you know you need a new blower motor.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I had the same exact problem. What I did was unhooked the plug from the blower motor,to see if I was getting correct voltage from the battery. If your not then there's something in the wires. If your getting the right voltage then it's something in the motor itself. I then took the motor out and manually spun it and it made a sound like it was comming unstuck and then it spun fine. If yours won't spin manually then there's something wrong w/ it.. You could apply 12v to it but make sure if you do that you have that thing held down, cause it will spin FAST. Then I rehooked it back up and it worked fine.
So check the connector w/o the motor hooked up and a new fuse and see if you get voltage. If so. Take the motor out and manually spin it, if it spins. Then put it back in.
See if it works.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rabit is right. But when the fuse blows that means there is a short between the switch and ground. So your still going to need to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice , just one question if i have to take the blower motor out is it relatively easy , do you know of a walk through i could look at ?

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's behind the glove box and fairly easy to get to. Just open the glove box and remove the hinges. Pop the glove box out and the blower motor is right behind it. Once you see it you will know what it is.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Rabit is right. But when the fuse blows that means there is a short between the switch and ground. So your still going to need to keep that in mind.
No offense, but if a stuck motor is a short then that's correct. I blew 3 fuses before I did all this and all it was, was that the motor was a little siezed. The wires that are to the motor are very well covered and the thought of them just shorting out is unlikely. If the motor isn't siezed then it will probably need replaced.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The fuse feeds strait to the blower motor, 12 volts does not go to the switch first. If there was a short to ground between the switch and the motor the motor would run on high all the time. The switch supplies the ground to the blower resistor. Unplug the blower motor, install the fuse. If the fuse blows you have a short to ground on the green wire with orange tracer. If the fuse blows immediately after plugging the blower motor in (with the switch in the on position) you need a new blower motor which I'm pretty sure is the case. Water and electric motors don't get along. Rust, shorted windings, messy.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus
36 Posts
Heater Blower Connector

My heater/AC fan stopped working the other day. I put a new resistor on it & it worked for about 10 seconds. I took the blower out & then put the connector into it & it worked fine til I started to put it down & it quit running. I know it's the wires from the blower to behind the dash but I'm not sure what it's called. I called my Ford garage & they gave me a part number but said that in their books it's an obsolete part. Can't find it in any part stores. Guess I'm headed to the salvage yard. Is that wire called a pigtail?[scratch]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
A pigtail is a connector with wires attached so you can splice it in to replace a bad connector.

Did you replace the resistor pack or did you mean a new fuse?

If it blew a fuse, the motor might be on the way out. It can draw too much power or short out inside when worn.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For general info., the fan gets fused 12v power direct, then it grounds through the resistor/switch setup. That might help in wire testing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts