Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heated Seat Not Working Anymore

Ladies and Gentlemen, I need some advice regarding a heated seat in a Focus 2004 ZTW. When pressing the button, the led light up but the driver's seat remains cold. The passenger's seat works fine.

Any ideas where I should look first?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'd start with looking under the seat for the connector to see if it was loose, or if the wires associated with the heater have been pinched or damaged. If everything looked OK, my next step would be to pull the connector apart and, using a multimeter, check to see if (a) power is making it from the switch to the connector, by measuring the voltage in the connector coming from the switch, and, if it is, (b) check the resistance of the heaters by measuring the resistance between the connector pins on the one that goes to the seat.

You then should know if the problem is on the "seat side" of the connector or the "switch side" of the connector, and can proceed from there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the plug. seriously. unplug it fully, check that nothing is burnt, missing or shoved in either end, then reseat and test.

before spending any crazy money on someone elses opinion or for a new seat, i'd transfer over the passenger seat and plug it into the drivers plug. if that fails, then it's not the seat, if it works, then it's your seat and replace accordingly.

if you did test the passenger and it works, then it doesn't seem to be a fuse, but i'd still check since it's cheaper than anythign else you might end up replacing.

removal of the seats might seem like a pain in the a$$, but it might save you some dough.

·
Registered
220 Posts
This should solve it, Hopefully you didn't start cuz its a recall

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM
04B16 Certain 2003-2004 Focus Vehicles (excluding SVT) Equipped with Heated Seat Option - Inspect and Repair Seat Heater Element Pads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank M. Ligon
Director
Service Engineering Operations
Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121

August 2004

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Update: Supplement Announcement - Customer Satisfaction Program 04B16 Supplement #1
Certain 2003-2004 Focus Vehicles (excluding SVT) Equipped with Heated Seat Option
Inspect and Repair Seat Heater Element Pads

REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT

This bulletin is being re-issued to revise the claiming instructions for the Trim and Weather-strip Adhesive.

PROGRAM TERMS

This program will be in effect until August 31, 2005 regardless of mileage.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 2003-2004 Focus vehicles (excluding SVT) built at the Wayne and Hermosillo Assembly Plants from Job #1, 2003 through January 30, 2004.

Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com. This information will be available on 8/23/2004.

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM

In all of the affected vehicles, the seat heater element pads are not adequately bonded to the foam cushions. This may result in shifting or folding up of the heater element pads, leading to an uneven heating of the seating surface.

SERVICE ACTION

Vehicles Built From Job #1, 2003 Through May 31, 2003
At no charge to the vehicle owner, dealers are to replace the lower seat cushion heater element pads. In addition, dealers are to inspect the heater element pads on both seat backs. Seat back heater element pads that are found to be out of position and completely folded up or damaged (reference Attachment III for inspection criteria) must be replaced. All other heater element pads must have additional adhesive applied.

Vehicles Built From June 1, 2003 Through January 30, 2004
At no charge to the vehicle owner, dealers are to inspect the heater element pads on both lower seat cushions and both seat backs. Heater element pads, that are found to be out of position and folded up or damaged (reference Attachment III for inspection criteria), must be replaced. All other heater element pads must have additional adhesive applied.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Looks like there is a thermostat for the heating elements. Yesterday morning was colder and the seat heated up quite nicely.

Sorry to bother you guys.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crazymechanic said:
the heat pads have thermal breakers built into them. once they reach a certain temperature, they automatically turn themselves off
Thx. I was a bit afraid that my car was showing signs of aging. :) But all is good, 80000 Km and have not spent a dime on repairs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
crazymechanic said:
the heat pads have thermal breakers built into them. once they reach a certain temperature, they automatically turn themselves off
which brings the next question: what temperature are they shutting off at?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Update

Ripinosu said:
Looks like there is a thermostat for the heating elements. Yesterday morning was colder and the seat heated up quite nicely.

Sorry to bother you guys.
Now I am not so sure anymore. The passenger's seat works at today's temperatures, but the driver's one not. :(

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Re: Update

Ripinosu said:
Now I am not so sure anymore. The passenger's seat works at today's temperatures, but the driver's one not. :(
Yup, today I am sure. The driver seat does not heat up. I consider taking it to the dealer to see what is the damage to my budget. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
04B16 - repaired - seat catches FIRE!

September 7, 2004 I received a letter from Ford Motor Company of Canada regarding Service Program 04B16. The letter stated "The front seat heater element pads in your vehicle are not adequately bonded to the foam cushions. This may result in shifting or folding up over time, resulting in uneven heating of the seat surfaces.
This Customer Service Program will be in effect until August 31, 2005..."
On May 5, 2005 my vehicle was serviced by Belanger Ford-Lincoln in regards to this letter. The parts used to address this issue were (as stated on my receipt) "3S4Z-14D696-AA (2), 3S4Z-14D696-BA (1), 3S4Z-14D696-CA (1)"
On February 16, 2008 at approximately 10p.m. upon returning to my home there was a distinct order in the air. Once parked and exited from the vehicle to my astonishment the heating pad elements on the driver side seat back had burned through the material of the seat leaving holes in the material and the elements exposed.
On February 19th, 2008 at 8:30am (due to weekend hours and a long weekend) I brought the vehicle back to the dealership and spoke with the parts and services manager. They informed me that the dealership would not help me and gave me the customer service number. I asked the parts and service manager for an estimated cost to replace the seats and I was informed it would be $500-$600. After speaking with customer service they informed they would not do anything other than suggest I inform my insurance company.
It is my belief that Ford Motor Company of Canada is aware of an issue regarding the heated-seat feature, in particular to my make and model, and therefore should accept the responsibility of replacing the defected product.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. you can go to the NHTSA web site and using your VIN file a report if it is a safety issue. I would think burning seats would be a safety issue. Perhaps Canada has something similar.

The auto companies hate it when you do this, as it doesn't not take many complaints to get NHTSA to write to the company asking for a formal response and any data they might have on the problem. Note that the most effective complaints are those where you provide the VIN, as this is how NHTSA and the auto companies track virtually everything.

I might also note that in the U.S. one owner of a BMW filed a safety defect complaint at the NHTSA website and was actually contacted directly by BMW North America regarding the problem... so at least some companies take these complaints seriously.

But note that NHTSA is ONLY interested in Safety complains... so don't bother reporting stuck keys in the ignition, leaky thermostat housing, etc., as it will just waste everyones' time.

P.S. The guy that had the body crack problems might want to file a safety defect complaint with NHTSA, as that is the sort of problem that NHTSA is VERY interested in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts