Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my heated seat a couple of times and it was really nice now that Mr Winter has arrived in MI. But now they no work so good. What could have happened? The light comes on when I push the switch, but no heat. Am I missing a fuse or circuit breaker? [mecry]
Dan

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
that sucks, i just used mine today cus it got down to 58 degrees. mine take a while to heat up to a point where i can feel it when i have multiple layers on, that could be your problem you have to much clothes on to feel the heat, or maybe your fuse is bad.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine. The previous owner(s) admitted to spilling soda near the drivers' sideheated seat control[:(] . I would depress the button and the seat would heat for about 2 minutes and then shut off. It would not even turn on again until I shut off the car. Upon removing the panel beneath the heated seat buttons, I discovered alot of dirt and debris. This area was then cleaned including the connections to the switches also. For the past week all has been well. I hope this helps[:)] .

·
un1corn
2,703 Posts
I've read a ton of times that the buttons go bad. Sometimes they still light up but no heat, sometimes nothing. Is it both sides that don't work properly? It might be worth a try to replace or swap buttons.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat"

I doubt it's the fuse, if the light on the switch comes on.
But, you could check.
It's #52 (15 amp) in the passenger compartment fuse panel.

Swapping the switches is a good idea, and extremely easy to do.
Just pop up the center piece on the console.
The switches and connectors pop right out.

Otherwise, you wouldn't be the first to have the heating elements in the seat go out. [:(]

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuse is OK. The switch does light up. Is there a sensor to make sure a butt is in the seat before it applies heat? If I push the passenger seat button, it lights while pushing then goes out....no butt in the seat. I will try it with a butt to see if it works. I will go out at lunch to play with it.
Dan

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
If I push the passenger seat button, it lights while pushing then goes out
That's not right.
Pushing the button should turn on the light, and it should stay on until the button is depressed again.
^^^Just like the TC button.

Did you buy the car new?
I'm wondering if someone had a problem with the switch and swapped them already.

My driver's side switch gave out about a month ago.
It wouldn't turn off one day, so I had to "smack it into submission" to shut it off.
Now I have to hold it down manually and drive with one hand if I want any heat in my seat.
I'd switch it with the passenger side, but that would piss my wife off when she rode along. LOL!

I haven't taken the time to disassemble the switch itself and see if I can fix it.
I asked Mike (Hilbish Ford), and the cost for a new switch is $28.50

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I push the passenger seat button, it lights while pushing then goes out
That's not right.
Pushing the button should turn on the light, and it should stay on until the button is depressed again.
^^^Just like the TC button.

Did you buy the car new?
I'm wondering if someone had a problem with the switch and swapped them already.

My driver's side switch gave out about a month ago.
It wouldn't turn off one day, so I had to "smack it into submission" to shut it off.
Now I have to hold it down manually and drive with one hand if I want any heat in my seat.
I'd switch it with the passenger side, but that would piss my wife off when she rode along. LOL!

I haven't taken the time to disassemble the switch itself and see if I can fix it.
I asked Mike (Hilbish Ford), and the cost for a new switch is $28.50
I did not get the car new, but the seats were working fine until I started to use them for this cold spell. I am suspecting the switch like you said. By the way, the switches are not the same. So you cannot steal the passenger seat switch. I did go out at lunch and remove the console cover and check the switches. After inspecting, I reinstalled them and I did manage to get heat to the lumbar area. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the switches as I think we might be able to then test them and let everybody know how to check them.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Mine does the same i swore i read a how-to on here about fixing it maybe i'm wrong but that could help you out dmeray1. And about it not shutting off, my passenger seat to an untrained eye wont shut off but if you let it out extremely slowly after depressing it, it goes off. And i mean EXTREMELY takes me a couple times.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds like we might have a problem with the switches!! If we could get a schematic of them, we could find out how they work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can see a possible run on switches from Mike!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
seat heater

I bought mine a couple of months ago and when i went to use my side it lights up but does not work. i bought used from non ford dealer and took back for warranty and they said the seat element needed to be replaced.
could i switch it on any other way to see if its switch or element.ford wants
about 350 bucks to fix, part cost 68.00 but seat has to come apart. the car has about 40k miles any help would be great .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts