Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was intermitent for a few days now doesnt work at all. The button lights up and I looked under the seat and the harness is connected and looks fine. Passenger seat works still. Any suggestions before I start pulling things out?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Was intermitent for a few days now doesnt work at all. The button lights up and I looked under the seat and the harness is connected and looks fine. Passenger seat works still. Any suggestions before I start pulling things out?
I'm with you. Mine went out a month ago. I can get mine fixed under my factory warranty but my wife won't let me take the car in to the dealer until after the baby is born (can't be without the car).

Heater elements in the seats fail commonly in all heated seats. Generally you will get a hot spot in the seat when it does work and after a while of the intermittent failure it will just give up.

to fix the element involves romoving the seat, taking everything apart, removing the old element (heating pad), and putting it all back together with the new element.

Because the but and back heaters are in series you will loose heat at both locations even though the but element is almost always the fault. you can remove the wires for the but at the harness and jumper the harness. This will give you heat back at the back element.

Thats the short version of where I think you are at.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks. will tear it apart when I get time. will start by testing for power from the switch. so nice to have in winter plus great when your back hurts. I did notice a burning plastic smell a little while ago that has gone away but it wasn't when i was using the seat, had just done a radio swap to the blau mp3 thought maybe it was a radio issue but maybe not...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks. will tear it apart when I get time. will start by testing for power from the switch. so nice to have in winter plus great when your back hurts. I did notice a burning plastic smell a little while ago that has gone away but it wasn't when i was using the seat, had just done a radio swap to the blau mp3 thought maybe it was a radio issue but maybe not...

·
Registered
210 Posts
its the switch cost like 30 buxs at ford had mine go out on the pass side sometimes it would light but then turn right off other times it did nothing at all

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
switch always still lights up though...

·
Registered
199 Posts
switch always still lights up though...
From what you have said I doubt it's the switch. This is a case where we both would like me to be wrong as changing the switch is far easier and cheaper than replacing the element.

There are some simple resistance tests you can do to the element by putting your volt meter across the proper pins at the harness. I don't know exactly what pins to check or what the proper resistance is but i'm sure you can find it on this site or through google.

·
Registered
199 Posts
just took mine to the dealer to get it replaced under the warranty. They called me back and said it's working fine for them. Figures, it hasn't worked for me in a month!!!

Intermittent Electrical Problems!!
Deifinition: Electrical failure that never happens at the dealership!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was just at the dealer today and they tried to sell me a whole new seat bottom with the heater element in it for 265.00. He claimed the pad could not be purchased seperately. Anyone know where I could buy the pad seperately? Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone know where the relay is for the heated seats or if there is a relay?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well FWIW I just had my heated seat fixed at the dealership under warranty. When I originally took it there they said that the seat was working fine. As I explained about the hot spot followed by intermittent failure followed by failure they decided to take my word for it and ordered the new elements.

I don't know what it would have cost me or how long it would have taken me but I dropped the car off at 7:45 AM and they called me to say that it was done at 11:26. That's under 4 hours so if the new elements are $30-35 and it takes you 4 hours I would definitely try this job myself.

Hope my experience helps you.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
That write up on the seat heater is awesome. I now feel confident that I can change the heater element myself. My problem is the Ford dealer by me is trying to sell me the whole seat for 265.00(well the bottom half of the seat). Does anyone have the part number of the heater pad itself and the cost? I think if I could get a hold of the part number the Ford dealer by me might be able to order it. Thanks

BOB

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Try this for the part and part number...
Get a hold of Mike Trendel (b16sir1991 on FF) at Hilbish Motors.
He is a vendor on this site, and has his own forums:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94
NOTE!
Calling him will get much quicker results than posting a thread or sending him a PM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts