1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I have an 07 SE (two actually)
Niether have heated mirrors.

I am wondering, is the wiring present for the heated mirrors?
I know a lot of options that are not installed still have the wiring in place.

Wondering if I plug in a heated mirror, if it will work.
thanks

Steve M.
Akron,OH
[email protected]
www.facebook.com/v8fordtempo
[driving]

·
Stuff about Florida
2,595 Posts
I think (not 100% sure) You could get SVT/ST mirrors plug them in, and they would heat when you hit the defrost button.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
IIRC, after 2003 the cars are prewired for heated option. My 2000 is not, but I hear I can tap into my defrost line somewhere to get the heated function to work. So based on my research, I'd say you are plug and play, but if not, it shouldn't be too wired to wire it yourself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
2007 SE Heated Mirrors wired??? YES!

FYI, I replaced my broken stock (non heated) mirror with the one I got from ebay (still non heated)

The plug DID have all 5 wires (an extra black, and a green/yellow)
that is not used in either non-heated application.

I am assuming that this is for the defrost option.

Now I might just go and buy those heated mirrors.... only 35 bucks a piece.

Go to the FOCUS ALBUM the pics are there!: (the uploaded ones in the post below didnt show up... just go to the FB album :)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1032954985864.2005825.1285106590&l=9bef518cd6&type=1

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let us know if you end up getting them.... I have been tempted to order some and find out (they would be fantastic with the Chicago winters) but I am on a bit of a tight budget and can't buy mirrors simply to find out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Heated mirrors on the 05-07 was in the winter package that also included bun warmers in the bottom of the front seats. Our 05 ZX3 SES is equipped in this manner.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I upgraded to SVT mirrors a few years back (from the same year), and my '03 plugged right in. I originally had the cold weather package, but I thought that only included the block heater (which went bye-bye when I grenades the o.g. engine)... my only complaint was the SVT set had two mounting bolts, whereas the set I removed had three. I'm not sure how the next gen is wired though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The heated mirrors are only $30 on ebay, thats where my standard one came from.

Bun warmers eh? are those the things that were wired to a button below the shifter, in the center console. I know there was a heated seat button on one side, I forget what was on the other side.. I saw a decked out SES with both in the console.

Now I should wonder if I can get bun warmers lol.

How about power seats? I pulled a set from a Topaz XR5 and put them in the prewired Tempo GLO... love em.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know I am reviving an old thread here, but I recently bought the heated mirrors on Amazon for $26 and can confirm with certainty that they WILL work as plug and play. I installed them when it was very cold out, turned on the rear defrost for a while and touched the mirrors, and they were quite warm.

I also had a nice little test when we got 8 inches of snow in 36 hours this past weekend, and my mirrors were free and clear even though the snow was whipping around in all directions and they had ice caked on them when I first started the car.

I would recommend this upgrade if you live in a snow-prone area and didn't originally have heated mirrors.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 2005 zx3 ses, came with non-heated mirrors. A few months ago a car wash busted one of my mirrors off (I wash it myself these days...) and I decided to go for a set of heated mirrors from 1aauto. They have never worked when I turn on the defroster and feel the mirrors, but after reading this thread I am wondering if maybe theres a separate fuse for the mirrors? I will check into this today and post an update. Shop has my car right now, getting a set of EAPs and new rubber installed :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you pry off the black plastic cover in the front corner of the window on the doors you will find a black plastic plug. If this plug currently has five(5) wires your car is pre-wired to provide electricity for your heated mirrors. If your plugs have only three(3) wires then it's a NO GO situation. Ask me how I know! Well I added SVT heated mirrors to my '05 Focus SES trim pkg. The car initially came w/o heated mirrors, but was pre-wired. The plugs are the same in either case, just different wire count. GL

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
I have a 2005 zx3 ses, came with non-heated mirrors. A few months ago a car wash busted one of my mirrors off (I wash it myself these days...) and I decided to go for a set of heated mirrors from 1aauto. They have never worked when I turn on the defroster and feel the mirrors, but after reading this thread I am wondering if maybe theres a separate fuse for the mirrors? I will check into this today and post an update. Shop has my car right now, getting a set of EAPs and new rubber installed :)
It's very hard to feel it with your hand...especially if you got them a few months ago, in warm weather you'd never be able to tell.

If I'm not mistaken the mirrors are on the same fuse as the rear defroster. If you do have the proper 5 wire set up then check for 12v at the car side of the harness and ohm the defroster pins on the mirror itself to see if its all good. Or just wait for the first frost of the season.

·
Registered
611 Posts
If you pry off the black plastic cover in the front corner of the window on the doors you will find a black plastic plug. If this plug currently has five(5) wires your car is pre-wired to provide electricity for your heated mirrors. If your plugs have only three(3) wires then it's a NO GO situation. Ask me how I know! Well I added SVT heated mirrors to my '05 Focus SES trim pkg. The car initially came w/o heated mirrors, but was pre-wired. The plugs are the same in either case, just different wire count. GL
Just because the doors have 5 wires going to the mirror connector doesn't mean the whole car is prewired for heated mirrors.

My own 2006 ZXW has 5 pins to each mirror connector but does not have power going to them when the defroster is on. It has the fuse for the heated mirror but nothing beyond that. One of these days I will look into it.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Just because the doors have 5 wires going to the mirror connector doesn't mean the whole car is prewired for heated mirrors.

My own 2006 ZXW has 5 pins to each mirror connector but does not have power going to them when the defroster is on. It has the fuse for the heated mirror but nothing beyond that. One of these days I will look into it.
2005 ZX4 5-speed 169K miles

I am at the same place with my 2005 ZX4. My car originally came with power non-heated side view mirrors. Last fall I purchased a set of Dorman aftermarket (ie Amazon) power heated mirrors and they seemed to be plug/play as the connector from the door harness had all five pins populated (3 for window motors, 2 for heating element). Over the course of last winter (as weeny as it was in New England) I quickly figured out that the heat function in the mirrors was not working and assumed the Dorman mirror heaters to be junk (the power motors work fine) at least at that time as I did not have time to further investigate. But I recently did some further investigation/diagnostics on my car and found out that although the heated mirror fuse (fuse 50 in the dash fuse box/central junction box) was hot with the defroster switch ON - as it should be - there was no power at the mirror connector heater element pin. The fuse is fed of the same contact of the power relay that feeds the rear window defroster which works fine. So long story short...there seems to be some wiring missing between the fuse box and the door harnesses. I truly believe this to be the crux of the issue as so many others have run into this same issue when attempting to retrofit the heated mirrors. Time (and my bad back) permitting I am going to try to trace this out and figure out what is missing.

Paul

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
2005 ZX4 5-speed 169K miles

Following up of my previous post:
I did get to my favorite junkyard today on a perfect New England early fall day to do some more investigating on the heated mirror wiring issue. In addition to the usual hand tools I also brought my DVOM/continuity meter with me to verify wiring connections.

This yard has 20+ 00-07 Focus. In the time I had available I looked at 3 cars in detail: 03 4 dr, 05 4 dr, 07 wagon. All these cars had (or apparently had) power mirrors, had all 5 wires populated at the power mirror connector on the door harness, and all had fuse 50 (7.5A) installed in the fuse box (from all schematics I have looked at fuse 50 is powered from the rear defroster relay and only powers the mirror heater elements).

These three vehicles all had physically similar wiring harness arraignments as best as I could tell in their states of disassembly. Based on schematic detail and observing the physical harness(es) layout it is seen that power to the mirrors goes thru three harnesses: power distribution harness connected to the under dash fuse box, body harness that connects the power distribution harness to the A pillar connectors, door harnesses that connect the A pillar (door umbilical) connectors to the mirrors, locks, and windows.

Of the vehicles I inspected in detail only the 05 had the wiring intact for the connection from fuse 50 in the fuse box all the way to the mirrors. Unfortunately that particular vehicle did not have its mirrors (actually didnt even have a passenger side front door) so I cannot say if that vehicle had heated mirrors installed from the factory or not. The 03 and 07 did not have the required wires in the power distribution or body harnesses.

So the bottom line is that the presence of fuse 50 and/or having all 5 wires populated in the power mirror connector is no guarantee of plug/play compatibility when retrofitting heated mirrors.

For anyone with an intact vehicle the easiest way to verify whether or not the vehicle has/not the required wires is to check for voltage at the heating element contact at either power mirror connector. The 5 contacts (sockets) are arranged in a row of 3 and a row of 2. In the row of 2 one socket is a BLK (ground) wire and one is a non-black (power) wire. On my 05 ZX4 the heating element power wires are GRN/BLK (L) and GRN/ORG (R). With the ignition switch ON and the rear defroster switch ON you should have battery voltage between the BLK and non black wires. If not and you have verified normal operation of the rear defroster then more than likely your vehicle is missing the required wires for the mirrors heating elements. Another way to test is to check for continuity: remove fuse 50 and check from the fuse contact in the fuse box to the heating element contact in the connector. No continuity would indicate missing wires. I did both tests on my 05 ZX4 which indicated my vehicle is missing the wires.

I plan to add the required wires in my 05 ZX4, hopefully in the near future (before winter). I will do a write up and try to include as much detail as I can.

Paul

1 - 20 of 23 Posts