Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for options on reducing heat soak. Considering cutting away the hood seal on the left side of the engine bay to vent away from the intake. Anyone have any trouble as a result of removing the seal? Is the seal there to keep water out or to keep the heat from venting onto the window and causing fog?

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
i have it done to my dtec. no real problems with the water . water just gets in there when it rains and when i wash her but i try to keep the engin bay clean all the time . i was running the cai and then switched over to sri for the winter and i will say that there is a big differace in the under the hood temp, its a good thing. oh and for the future , cause your new here, there is a search button at the top . if you type in heat soak you will see mulible threads about this. beware of the search police, they can be a--holes. welcome to ff

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
Not really much you can do with a SRI. One that will help reduce it would be the Volant Intake. It's a short ram but it's in an enclosed box and get's cooler air from the snorkle up front. I don't know if they make them any more or not, but you could also get a Piper X Venom and they're a lot better than the Volant.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Heat-soak can be solved without removing the hood seal....which is there for a good reason. It prevents odors and any exhaust fumes from going into the cabin area. Stupid to remove it...IMO.

I solved the problem with a few fans and some labor. This works great on the Duratec models with a SRI, like my Steeda.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
remove a few inches not whole thing that heat will find its way out, also you can build a box like the one on the focus sport intake with some cheap metal, jb weld and some rubber stripping on the top to seal into the hood. also raist the back of the hood a bit with some washers search around i am sure there is a how to somewhere

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
i got a evo III hood so i can get air to my SRI and solve the heat soak problem. temps are not even noticeable i think well for the oil the guage is a lil lower than normal.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
header wrap!!

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
try the seal and washers and see how it does if more is needed wrap the headers or build a shield

·
FF Affiliate
30,934 Posts
Heat-soak can be solved without removing the hood seal....which is there for a good reason. It prevents odors and any exhaust fumes from going into the cabin area. Stupid to remove it...IMO.

I solved the problem with a few fans and some labor. This works great on the Duratec models with a SRI, like my Steeda.
Removing the hood seal is no more silly then adding some fans to blow down on the exhaust manifold and claim to of cured heat soak and the hood seal has nothing to do with odors getting into the cabin

You have 4 heaters under the hood and if you dont deal with those then your wasting your time with anything short of removing the hood

The biggest heater is the Exh , this needs to be wrappe from the flange on the head to at least where the exh runs straight under the floor board and wrapped good

The second heater is the engine there isnt much you can do here other then lower the turmostat and get the engine to run a little cooler then the 200 to 230 it runs and that brings in the 3rd heater the Radiator again lower the thurmostat and turn the fans on sooner , the radiator puts a LARGE amount of 205deg+ heat into the engine bay at all times as your moving this air coming through the radiator goes over and around the engine taking some of the radiant heat from the exh out and down under the car

the 4th heater is the trans only thing you can do here and engine is synthetic oils

Like I said SRI intake on hot days there isnt a ot you can do but wrapping it is going to help the most with thurmostat second , But these will only help on hot days you will see loss of power reguardless

Tom

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Well....the major intake for the cabin ventilation is through the holes in the driver side cowl. If you remove the hood seal, airflow off the engine is allowed to pass right over those intake holes.....and the smells/exhaust are sucked/blown right into the cabin. A partial removal of the hood seal makes the problem less severe.....but still present. Carbon monoxide still has the distinct possibility of entering the cabin, if you have the slightest exhaust leak under the hood. No you won't smell the stuff.....but it might kill you.

As far as the extra fans are concerned....nobody ever claimed that heat-soak is 100% solved. It's just reduced. And the extra fan system works whether or not the car is moving.....unlike all the other methods. My under-hood temperatures were reduced about 25F driving around town, when the outside temperature was around 85F. A significant improvement IMO, without the risk of CO.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
you dnt remove the seal on the back just on the side plus you dnt have huge fans in your engine bay and the extra load on your electrical system. and to you tom you always have the best ideas...how exactly do you lower the thermostat i couldnt find a how to

·
Banned
68 Posts
just buy a new one thats a 180 instead of stock and change it

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Heat Soak remedy?

Cold Air Intake

done[thankyou]

ok, thats not the answer your looking for. although, its the correct one. Like Tom stated above, there are very few things that can be done to prevent 100+ air temps from reaching your intake manifold.
IMO, wrapping a SRI is pointless because the air that is traveling into the engine does not have enough time to heat-up from the hot metal piping. This is due to the speed at which the air travels.
Also, for those of you who connect the PCV hose to the intake, you are defeating any kind of heat remedies you come up with. This is also an advantage with CAI's the hose connects to the piping down near the filter. Thus being combined with all the cold air and not making matters worse.

Good luck in your quest for cooler air from a short-ram[thumb]

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
the cold air takes the air from the bottom so it should not be affected by the fan

·
Registered
574 Posts
its not really that its just every once in a while my temp gage starts risin soo i wanna know how i can change the temp the fas kick on at but i think iam gunna wrap my headers since they look gross any way

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
oh your engine temp... that is not your intake it is the engine that is the coolant system you can get a 180 degree thermostat and see what that does for you

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
maybe you got an air bubble in the system....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts