Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my catalytic converter heat shield fell off yesterday. I've poked around the archives and haven't been able to determine whether or not it's that important to have addressed. I no longer have the shield. I was on the hiway and she just gave up the ghost. I glanced in the mirror and saw it sliding across the shoulder and into never never land. There was no way I was going to stop and pick the stupid thing up.

So, do I take my car to the dealer and have it replaced? I bet with the weight reduction, I probably dropped a second off my quarter mile times. [rolleyes]

Ooh, how about this - I get a new shield and cover it with yellow stickers. I figure that's gotta be worth about 30whp and the best part is, they'll be hidden, so no one will know I'm packin so much powah! [thumb]

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Mine has been in my living room since the third week I bought my car. The results of my search told me they don't have a good way to put it back on. Just don't park over long grass while it's hot.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i dont think it's all that horrible. on my old focus i had a 4-2-1 race header w/ flexpipe and had nooo problem.

if it's under warranty you might wanna try it. but that's just up to you i guess

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty, but they had to replace the whole CAT because you can't buy the shield on its own. A couple of weeks later, I think it's gone again...[?|].

·
Registered
238 Posts
Scott_SVT said:
here ya go, just stamp this sucker on there... instant 10 second 1/4 mile[:D]
hahaha, that's friggin hilarious. ya man, i was driving to school when i saw my heat shield slide off into never-never land as well...it was pretty funny to see my friends who were following me swerve to avoid it [:D] we dont really need that anyways, do we?

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
Ford fixed my loose heatshield with a hose-clamp/band-clamp around the middle. Doesn't matter much now, though...my stock cat, with heatshields, is sitting on a shelf in my garage.

·
Registered
560 Posts
the funny thing is, ford did fix mine, but did a half A$$ job. they tied a hose clamp around the rear half of the cat sheild and left the front half empty. unlike Revamp, which was tied in the middle, now i gotta bring it back to them because the bolts on the front half have fallen off and it rattles like crazy. stupid ford tech, can't even do a simple job... and they expect me to leet them do anything more difficult[?|]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SWEET! The Type R thingy would look bad ass if it were hanging from a real thick silver plated chain!!

Thanks for your input, gang. I have no plans to replace the exhaust on the car, but I still haven't decided if it's worth my time to have it replaced.

There's an SVT dealer not too far from the house, but they are no longer allowed to touch my car (or speak to me, for that matter) and the next closest one is ~40 miles away. At least they sponsor the Atlanta Chapter of the SVTOA, so the next time I go to a meeting, I may have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Mine fell off a few months ago and I haven't had any problems with it so far.

Oh, btw, that "typr R" thing might work better if you duct tape it directly to the header, I think it will be more effective there giving you at least another 10HP to the wheels over attaching it to the cat lol [8]

·
Registered
195 Posts
nothin is going to happen with the shield gone i have to remove them all the time on car when they rust through and start to rattle, it might protect the cat a little bit but there is nothing to worry about

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
blacksvt03 said:
nothin is going to happen with the shield gone i have to remove them all the time on car when they rust through and start to rattle, it might protect the cat a little bit but there is nothing to worry about
As it turns out, it does offer some protection - for me at least. [?|] I was changing the oil in my car this weekend and I while I was trying to remove the oil filter (I really hate where it is, btw), I managed to burn the shit out of my arm (well, not that bad really, just a first degree, but it still hurt like a sumbitch). My car had been off for close to 45 minutes, and that thing was still hot - as in really hot.

Oh well, at least I've officially converted to Royal Purple. [thumb]

·
Across the Pond
1,746 Posts
I had my lower heat shield fall off. I replaced it through the dealership (yes, you can buy the heatshield itself) and they were supposed to re-tighten the top one, but the never did. so now i have a ratlle everytime i go over a speed bump.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
there was an announcement the beginning of this month, I think it was, that the cat shield was being made available as a separate part by ford. Prior to July, this wasn't the case. Ford also announced that it would be offering the DSI clip by itself, instead of having to purchase the whole intake thingamajig

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
My bottom cat heat shield fell off and Ford replaced it. My TOP cat heat shield started to rattle pretty bad at about 1900pms even though it was tightened all the way so I wrapped one hose clamp around the front of the cat and one around the back of the cat and snugged the top and bottom heat shields together.

TOTALLY quiet. No rattles. A $3.00 fix to stop rattles AND to stop your bottom heatshield from falling off too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts