Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to remove this? I hate the way it looks.

I do live in Houston, though, and it gets REALLY hot outside. Especially on the freeways where i am normally driving.

It doesn't rattle or anything. Like i said, i just hate the way it looks. Does it really do anything?

I tried searching for some answers, but didn't find much, so somebody that has removed theirs, hit me up with some info.

·
WWTPD?
1,735 Posts
Mine is removed, along with the shitty upper firewall lining. I would think about wrapping your headers or coating them to keep the under-hood temps down. It will be easier on the paint.

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
^^For your firewall lining, did you just rip it all out, or did you have to remove things from the back wall before you could take it out?

·
WWTPD?
1,735 Posts
I only removed one thing, 2 small screws is all it took. I also uncliped the fuse box to give me a little more room. Took 5 minutes total. The lining comes off after getting 2 or 3 little pressed on clips off. I scratched up my strut towers (accidentally) so watch out for that. You'll see what I mean.

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
Cool, Sorry for the threadjack, but have you noticed any ill-effects upon removing the lining?

·
Registered
607 Posts
i removed my heat shield and was using an FR long tube headers...

imo engine bay looks better without heat shield, but once you removed the heat shield you can find out some dirt under the hood and you ll need to give it a good clean...

only thing without the heat shield is, hood gets the engine heat and becomes more hot also that means heat in the engine bay is transferred more easily by the metal hood... so infact this is a good thing but i really dont know how the paint will be effected in long term...

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
I wouldnt take heatsheild off the headers.... Keep that Engine bay cool...

·
Registered
251 Posts
You can remove them. I cut the tabs of the header and wraped it in header wrap(adds power not much) after I noticed how much hotter the bay got and smell of something melting (fan). If you remove your sheild on the hood, I would put something back on that looks better, cuz your paint will flake away from the heat under it after awhile (1-2years)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, it's safe to remove and the only thing that could potentially be adversely affected would be the paint on the inside of the hood? This wouldn't affect the paint on the outside of the hood, will it?

·
Registered
200 Posts
The liner on the hood I believe is only for sound deadening, might aid on heat dissipation but I would see no adverse effects from removing it! Some cars don't come with a hood liner, especially 4 cylinder cars

·
Registered
251 Posts
So, it's safe to remove and the only thing that could potentially be adversely affected would be the paint on the inside of the hood? This wouldn't affect the paint on the outside of the hood, will it?
The out side will flake off, I'll put some picks up of what I'm talking about.
And you will get heat soak sometimes.

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
Dangit, I hate threads that can't give a straight answser... [;)] Some people are saying it'll be ok and look really cool, the others are saying my hood and radiator fans will melt off... [hihi]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts