Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering if it's a must to have the heat shield on my 2001 zetec headers. I'd love to just take it off and paint the headers with flame proof paint. But is that safe?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Dont waste your time or effort on that horrible header, atleast buy a used SVT or ebay SVT and paint that with high temp paint and heat wrap.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I'm not running my heat shield on my SE anymore and have no ill effect to report. It was rusted through and just flopping around on the header so I just ripped it out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it hard to put the svt headers on? And what's the price range?

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
And SVT header conversion is quite the project that involves more than just the header itself.

Personally if its not rusted out i'd leave it, The stock header under there looks like complete and total crap even when painted...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But if I was to get svt headers I would need an new exhaust correct?

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
The shield can be removed but be prepared for any close proximity rubber parts to start cooking faster.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
looks bad, but you can do it. if you want a cheap cool looking header... go for a shorty header and paint that. dont expect any epic power gains like the svt but maybe 2-3 and a throaty sound.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
But if I was to get svt headers I would need an new exhaust correct?
To swap to an svt header, you'll need the svt header, svt catalytic converter, svt flex pipe, svt oil dip stick, and a 2 1/2" exhaust. Expect somewhere around $1000 into a used setup before your done unless you can find a package deal or local salvage yard with an svt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts