Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i've had my 2001 black Focus ZX3 5spd for over a month and i've had no problem with it. LOVE IT. but the other day on the way to work, my CD player shut off by its self. it turned back on for a split second and then turned off again, and then it turned on and off again. i finally managed to get my cd out and it was very hot to the touch. well i left the cd and raido off the rest of the way to work. i had 20 minutes left before i started so i listend to a different cd, and after 15 minutes it did it again.

this was the first time it's ever done it to me in the month plus of having it. im thinking maybe it was the CD player turning off by its self because it was getting too hot. it was a 95 degree sunny weather day. and i had no AC going, just the windows down. so im thinking maybe it was just getting a tad hot. i was hopeing some of you could tell me what it is, what i can do, and if any of you have had the problem before and what youve done.

i plan on getting a new head unit in when i get some boom boom in the back of my car, but i want my CD player i have now to be kosher untill then.

·
FF Founder
20,121 Posts
Is it your stock CD player or aftermarket? Additionally do you have stock speakers or aftermarket?

BTW: I'm moving this from Technical Chat(more Engine Related) to Car Audio & Electronics so that the gurus can answer your question more promptly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In those cases it usually is the internals of that CD Player and your going to have to replace it i get plenty of those problems weekly at the dealership and it just replacing the cd unit. Lucky for you that you got a chance to get your cds out usually they melt or are unusable. If you have Extended Warranty on your car use it if not i can also check your vehicles history and might be able to pull some information on that problem you would just have to give me the VIN of your vehicle.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i once had an old head unit that did that. turns out the mosfets were overheating and shutting down the radio so it didn't burn.

generally it's a safety mechnism, i'd say it's time to get a new headunit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think and Cais95 answered you question pretty well. I was wondering if it was a stock unit or not. I know that soe Foci's came with a sony system as an option. you might want to check wether there is sufficient space behind the unit to let its self get air to even cool down. Is is hot where you are at? lasers, not matter what classification produce heat, that combined with hot weather will doom lots of different audio equiptment to thermal shutdown. That is a good thing. It means self preservation for the unit. I know it's annoying, but if cleaning it doesn't work, and it's not jammed into your dash with no air that can get around it, live with it. I don't think that there are any Rabbi that will inspect a CD player to deam it kosher. (i just had to put that in there)

Also, try to have a little more patience, and don't attack us with a "already pissed off at us forum", everything on this site is FREE ADVICE. There is a lot of very knowledgeable individuals on this sight that can really help you out. There is also a lot of information that you could be paying good money to get, but it's free with a screen name. I'm just saying calm down and be patient, you'll get your answers a lot more politely in the future.

BTW welcome to FF

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and i did thank you guys and i did apologize, as i said before we're all adults and should act like it, my bad on my part. i was just frustrated and pissed off about my car. you know. its my baby!

·
Registered
352 Posts
sorry, you posted while i was typing. after i posted and saw that i kind-a felt like an ass. my bad man, my bad

·
Registered
352 Posts
hey Mr. lukdogg. I tried to have my CD player sent in several times for replacement, the dealership just kept "forgetting to do it" Is there anything that i can do to get it replaced. They conveniently kept forgetting until the warranty ran out. I was pissed!

didn't mean to cut the thread, sorry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts